RC-1309's squad was a unit consisting of clone commandos in the Galactic Republic's Grand Army who fought in the Clone Wars between the Galactic Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems. The unit was made up of four clone commandos and led by RC-1309 "Niner," and was trained by Sergeant Kal Skirata. In 22 BBY, the squad was deployed to the First Battle of Geonosis, of which Niner was the squad's only survivor.
History[edit | edit source]
RC-1309's squad was a group of clone commandos who served in the Galactic Republic's Grand Army from 32 BBY to 22 BBY. Cloned on the Wild Space planet Kamino in 32 BBY, the squad was led by RC-1309 "Niner," and consisted of clone commandos RC-8028 "28," RC-1304 "O-Four," "DD," and "Sev." During the commandos' training under Cuy'val Dar training Sergeant Kal Skirata on Kamino, 28 was killed due to an explosives error of his own doing on a live-range exercise—an event that would weigh heavily on the squad leader. The squad recieved either O-Four, DD, or Sev as a replacement in 28's stead, but Niner observed that the new trooper seemed to feel as if he was not accepted by the unit. In 22 BBY the squad was deployed to the Outer Rim world of Geonosis in the first battle of the Clone Wars. In the battle, three of the squad's members were killed in action, leaving RC-1309 as the only survivor to be assigned to Omega Squad shortly after, which he remained as squad leader for the duration of the war.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
RC-1309's squad was mentioned in the 2004 novel Republic Commando: Hard Contact, written by Karen Traviss. In a 2005 discussion forum on StarWars.com, Traviss stated that RC-1309's original squad was named "Lambda Squad" in her notes for Hard Contact, but the name did not appear in the novel itself.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Republic Commando: Hard Contact (First mentioned)
- Republic Commando: Triple Zero (Indirect mention only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (Mentioned in multiple entries, but without own entry)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Republic Commando: Hard Contact
- Republic Commando: Hard Contact states that RC-1309 was ten years old at the time of the First Battle of Geonosis. The New Essential Chronology places the beginning of the Clone Wars in 22 BBY and the creation of the clone army on Kamino in 32 BBY, meaning that RC-1309—as well as RC-1309's squad—must have been cloned in 32 BBY. Further, The Essential Reader's Companion places the events of Republic Commando: Hard Contact, which include the appearance of RC-1309's squad, in the year 22 BBY.
- The Essential Atlas