Rafa III was a terrestrial planet located in the Rafa system, a part of the Centrality sector in the Slice portion of the Outer Rim Territories. It occupied the third orbital position around the Rafa system's sun, and along with the rest of the Rafa was situated on the Arleen Loop hyperlane, which connected it to the Arleen and Dela systems.
Rafa III was the site of deep-bore hardrock mining operations that utilized giant laser drill-bits. By 3 BBY, a pair of the planet's drill-bits had been gifted as souvenirs to the Poly Pyramid, a bar in the system's capital settlement Teguta Lusat on the planet Rafa IV. There, the drill-bits were used to prop open the inner doors of the establishment, which was frequented by vacationing miners from Rafa III.
Behind the scenes
Rafa III was first mentioned in Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu, the 1983 first entry in The Lando Calrissian Adventures trilogy of novels by L. Neil Smith. "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, How I Wonder Where We Are," a 1990 roleplaying game source article published in Voyages SF 13, placed the Rafa system, and therefore Rafa III, in the Corporate Sector. Since that article was released outside of the Lucas Licensing process, its canonicity within the Star Wars Legends continuity was never confirmed. The 2009 reference book The Essential Atlas subsequently overrode the Voyages SF 13 placement by establishing that the Rafa system was instead situated in grid square T-8 as part of the Centrality.
- Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- The Essential Atlas — Based on corresponding data for Rafa system
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III, p. 74 ("Rafa system")
- Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu
- The Essential Reader's Companion places the The Lando Calrissian Adventures trilogy, of which Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu is the first installment, between 3 BBY and 2 BBY.
- "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, How I Wonder Where We Are"—Voyages SF 13