- "How else are we going to break Imperial encryption?"
"We could ask them all nice-like."
"Remind them that they lost, maybe?"
- ―Han Solo and Kes Dameron
The raid at the Wretch of Tayron was a battle waged by the Pathfinders, an elite force within the Alliance to Restore the Republic, against an Imperial Security Bureau black site at the Wretch of Tayron. As the operation commenced, two of the Pathfinders, Sergeant Kes Dameron and Sakas, shot down an All Terrain Scout Transport, the downing of which caused a breach in the facility's wall and allowed General Han Solo and his Pathfinders to enter the base. Once inside, they secured the surrender of the base's commander and used the protocol droid C-3PO to hack into Imperial intelligence files. The files revealed that the Empire had begun executing Operation: Cinder, a posthumous order from the Emperor commanding Imperial forces to devastate several worlds as retribution for his demise.
The Alliance took the intelligence they gained and fought back against Operation: Cinder on countless worlds, including the Emperor's homeworld of Naboo. Intelligence gathered from the raid also allowed Commander Luke Skywalker and Lieutenant Shara Bey to gain the clearance codes necessary to recover the last-remaining fragments of a Force-sensitive tree that once dwelled at the heart of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.
- "Operation: Cinder is to begin at once."
- ―Darth Sidious' posthumous order
Four years after the Battle of Yavin, during the Galactic Civil War, the Alliance to Restore the Republic launched the Battle of Endor in a successful attempt to destroy the Galactic Empire's second Death Star. The attack resulted in the death of the Emperor, Darth Sidious. After his death, Imperial commanders were given a posthumous contingency order to launch Operation: Cinder, a campaign designed to render countless worlds uninhabitable in the event of the Emperor's death. One such world was Naboo, the Emperor's homeworld, which the Empire assaulted twenty days after the Battle of Endor. The attack was carried out with over a dozen satellites designed to disrupt and destroy the planet's climate.
- "This is the moment where you decide if you want to live or not, buddy."
"I offer you my surrender."
- ―A Pathfinder and the commander of the Imperial base
While the Empire attacked Naboo, an Alliance Special Forces team known as the Pathfinders, under the command of General Han Solo, prepared for an unrelated raid on an Imperial Security Bureau black site at the Wretch of Tayron in the Outer Rim Territories. Before the assault began, Pathfinders such as Sergeant Kes Dameron and Sakas carried out reconnaissance while overlooking the base. While spying on the base, Solo commanded all of his strike teams to report in with their status. All teams reported that they were ready to begin, and, on Solo's order, they fired rockets at the base. The attack took out many stormtroopers and an All Terrain Scout Transport, leaving Imperial forces scrambling once they realized they were under attack.
The initial attack allowed the Pathfinders to gain entry to the base, after the AT-ST crashed and caused a breach on the southeast side of the facility. The Pathfinders fought their way in and eliminated several stormtroopers, scout troopers and a 74-Z speeder bike before finally securing the exterior. Solo soon arrived and asked where C-3PO, a Rebel protocol droid, had gone, as Threepio was critical to hacking into the Imperial computers to gain new intelligence. Chewbacca, Solo's Wookiee companion, found the droid, and the group entered the base.
Once inside the base, the Rebels fought against the Imperial stormtroopers stationed there. The base's commander attempted to flee to the base's computers so he could wipe their data before the Pathfinders could get to it, but the Rebel team confronted him first and he offered his surrender. The Rebels soon secured the base and Threepio was able to break Imperial encryption codes to access the computers. In doing so, he uncovered information about Operation: Cinder, including how it was attacking Naboo.
- "We obtained Commander Beck's clearances during the raid at the Wretch of Tayron. That should get us through the door. As for the rest, I'm going to trust in the Force."
- ―Luke Skywalker, to Shara Bey, during their flight to Vetine
The Rebels used the intelligence about Operation: Cinder to send a fleet to Naboo, where three N-1 starfighters, piloted by Lieutenant Shara Bey, Princess Leia Organa, and Queen Sosha Soruna, were already in the process of destroying the satellites. The Rebel fleet, commanded by General Lando Calrissian, fought against the Imperial II-class Star Destroyer and the dozens of TIE/ln space superiority starfighters that were attempting to stop the N-1 starfighters. The combat operations were successful; the satellites were destroyed, Naboo was saved from Operation: Cinder, and the three pilots all survived. Over the next several months, the Rebellion continued to fight back against Operation: Cinder, saving countless worlds from Imperial retribution.
Three months after the raid at the Wretch of Tayron, Commander Luke Skywalker, a Jedi Knight, recruited Lieutenant Bay for a mission to the planet Vetine in order to retrieve the two remaining fragments of a Force-sensitive tree that the Emperor had stolen from the Jedi Temple on Coruscant many years prior. Bey posed as Commander Alecia Beck of the Imperial Security Bureau, using the commander's clearance codes that were obtained at the Wretch of Tayron. Although the commander of the base on Vetine, Commandant Hurron, knew that Bey was not actually Commander Beck, Bey and Skywalker were able to retrieve the tree fragments and escape Vetine.
Behind the scenesEdit
The raid at the Wretch of Tayron was depicted in the 2015 comic book Shattered Empire, Part III, written by Greg Rucka. It was again referenced in the fourth and final issue of the series, Shattered Empire, Part IV.
- Shattered Empire, Part III (First appearance)
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Indirect mention only)
- Shattered Empire, Part IV (Mentioned only) (First identified as raid at the Wretch of Tayron)
- Before the Awakening (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars Battlefront II
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 2.19 2.20 2.21 2.22 2.23 2.24 2.25 2.26 2.27 2.28 2.29 2.30 2.31 2.32 2.33 Shattered Empire, Part III
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Shattered Empire, Part IV
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas identifies the Battle of Endor as being in 4 ABY. As a result of this event only being several weeks after, and knowing from Star Wars: The Aftermath Trilogy that 5 ABY is nearly a year later, we can deduce that this event's proximity is only 20 days later as being in the same year.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Shattered Empire, Part II places the events of Operation: Cinder on Naboo twenty days after the Battle of Endor. Shattered Empire, Part III depicts this raid as taking place concurrently, so the date can be extrapolated from the second issue.
- ↑ screenshot)—The tweet in question refers to the number of in-universe years between the canon films and television shows. Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, in which the Battle of Yavin appears, is set as Year 32. Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, which ends three weeks before this event, is set as Year 36. Using simple math, it can be deduced that this raid took place four years after the Battle of Yavin. (
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ Shattered Empire, Part II
- ↑ Before the Awakening