- «Hang on… you're after those data files I lifted? I knew I should have charged more for that heist!»
- ―Vistis Garn, upon learning why the Knight was pursuing him[src]
Near the end of the Cold War between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire, a Jedi Knight and the astromech droid T7-O1 raided a warehouse belonging to the Migrant Merchants' Guild, a criminal syndicate that controlled the Old Galactic Market region on the Republic capital of Coruscant, in order to recover stolen weaponry and the design files for the Planet Prison superweapon. The duo confronted the team of thieves who had stolen the weapons and files from the Republic Military, and the Jedi Knight defeated the criminals and their leader, the Rodian Vistis Garn. However, the Jedi and T7-O1 learned from Garn that the files had already been sent to the Black Sun criminal syndicate, and the pair were called back to the Senate Building in order to deal with another crisis.
- "Thirty-two hours ago, thieves raided a military storehouse. They stole weapons, supplies and data files for the Planet Prison project."
- ―Agent Galen
In 3643 BBY, during the Cold War between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire, the Jedi Council on the planet Tython sensed a dark disturbance in the Force on the Republic capital of Coruscant and sent the Jedi Master Bela Kiwiiks with her Padawan, Kira Carsen, to investigate. However, the dark presence was actually the Sith Lord Tarnis, who was posing as a Republic scientist named Eli Tarnis within the Republic superweapon initiative, a weapons development program. Feeling that further investigation by the Jedi would reveal his identity, Tarnis contacted the Black Sun criminal syndicate and traded Imperial weapons and armor in exchange for its services. On Tarnis's orders, Black Sun sent the Rodian thief Vistis Garn, who occasionally worked with the Migrant Merchants' Guild, one of Black Sun's rivals, to steal the design files for Tarnis's project, the Planet Prison superweapon. Raiding a Republic Military warehouse with a team of Guild criminals, Garn acquired files on the entire superweapon initiative and also made off with a shipment of advanced weapons and munitions.
However, Garn was caught on a security camera as he was leaving, allowing the Coruscant Security Force and the Republic Strategic Information Service—the Republic's intelligence agency—to identify the Rodian almost thirty hours later. By then, Kiwiiks had requested reinforcements from the Council, and Jedi Master Orgus Din and his former apprentice arrived from Tython around the same time. Along with the astromech droid T7-O1, Din's now-Knighted former student met with the other Jedi, Doctor Tarnis, and General Var Suthra of the Republic Military in the Senate Tower. Agent Galen, the head of the SIS branch stationed in the Senate Tower, interrupted the Jedi's meeting to report that his analysts had found a lead, and Suthra left the young Knight and Carsen with Galen while he and the Jedi Masters departed to meet with Supreme Chancellor Dorian Janarus. Galen's agents had tracked Garn back to a warehouse in the Guild-controlled Old Galactic Market region, and the SIS agent dispatched the Jedi Knight and Teeseven to retrieve the stolen weapons and files. While Galen and Carsen remained at the Senate Tower and used the CSF's security network to distract the criminals, the Knight and Teeseven took an air taxi to the Old Galactic Market.
- «A Jedi—that's all I need! Nothing personal, but I have to kill you!»
- ―Vistis Garn[src]
Upon reaching the warehouse, the Knight and Teeseven surprised six Guild members—an Abyssin, three Ongree, and two Rodians—while they were unloading their stolen goods, and the pair defeated the criminals and their rewired security droid in the resultant battle. Before breaking through the security door behind which Garn had barricaded himself, the pair recovered the stolen munitions, weapons, and rockets from among the other illicit goods in the warehouse. Finding the door sealed, the Knight cut through it with a lightsaber and entered the room, and an alarmed Garn apologized before activating a quartet of autoturrets. Deflecting and dodging the blaster bolts, the Knight and Teeseven disabled the turrets and defeated Garn, and the injured thief quickly surrendered and offered information to the Jedi.
- «Let's make a deal, huh? I have the data files, but the guild already decrypted them. I transmitted a copy to my clients. You want the people who hired me. I'll tell you where they are—if you promise to let me go.»
- ―Vistis Garn[src]
The Knight contacted Galen via holocomm and reported the pair's success, but an agitated Galen ordered the Jedi to bring the design files back as quickly as possible—they had had a major breach of security while the Knight was in the Market. Galen refused to say anything more on an unsecured channel and ended the transmission. Realizing what the Jedi was after, Garn offered to tell the Knight who had hired the Guild to steal the files and where to find them if the Jedi would let the Rodian go. When the Jedi agreed, Garn revealed that he had been hired by Black Sun and that he had helped the Guild steal the files so that he could send an unencrypted copy to Black Sun once the Guild's slicer had decrypted them. Honoring their deal, the Knight allowed Garn to leave, and the Rodian told the pair that he was going to visit friends on the moon Nar Shaddaa. The Knight and Teeseven then returned to the Senate Tower, where they learned that Black Sun had kidnapped Tarnis.
Behind the scenesEdit
The raid on the Migrant Merchants' Guild warehouse appears in Star Wars: The Old Republic, a video game released by BioWare and LucasArts in 2011, as the in-universe events of the Jedi Knight-class mission "Stolen Secrets" on Coruscant. After recovering the stolen missions and defeating Garn, the player can choose to either kill the thief for dark-side points after learning about Black Sun, or let him leave in peace for varying amounts of light-side points. Warning the thief about the consequences of lying before sparing him results in fifty light-side points, while simply letting him leave results in 100.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First appearance)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "Stolen Secrets" on Coruscant
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "Kidnapped!" on Coruscant
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Using comments and information from The Old Republic—The Lost Suns 2, The Old Republic: Annihilation, and "The Last Battle of Colonel Jace Malcom"—Star Wars Insider 137, it is possible to place the events of the Prologue and Act I for the Jedi Knight, Smuggler, and Trooper classes in Star Wars: The Old Republic in 3643 BBY, the general events of Act II in 3642 BBY, and the events of Act III for all classes in 3641 BBY.
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "Enemy Force" on Tython
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "The Rescue" on Coruscant
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "The Jedi Envoy" on Coruscant