- "Ray shields."
"Wait a minute. How did this happen? We're smarter than this."
- ―Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi are trapped by ray shields on the Invisible Hand
A ray shield was a specialized type of deflector shield used to absorb radiation and raw energy. Employed in both the time of the Galactic Republic and the Galactic Empire, it functioned by deflecting or scattering energy beams. However, ray shields did not allow physical objects through them completely unscathed, imparting a deadly electric shock. As such they could be used in traps.
Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker, and Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine were once caught in a ray shield trap on the Invisible Hand, set by General Grievous. Kenobi lamented that they were too smart to be caught in such an obvious trap.
Ray shields avoided the problem of certain shields in that they could be extended to the ground without those inside of them running out of air. However, they were only considered useful in certain applications because they allowed through objects such as missiles and torpedoes.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- ; images #6, 7
- ; image #16
- Sabine My Rebel Sketchbook
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 15 (Databank A-Z: Dooku–Dwarf Spider Droids)
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars: Millennium Falcon: A 3-D Owner's Guide (2018)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition – HMP Droid Gunship Expansion Pack (Card: )