- "Unknown fighter, this is the Kreuge's Revenge. This is a restricted system. Shut down all flight systems and prepare for inspection."
- ―Lieutenant Pyparr
The Razor-class frigate was a class of frigate used by the Imperial Navy during the Galactic Civil War. Over a month after the Battle of Yavin, Lieutenant Pyparr commanded the Razor-class vessel Kreuge's Revenge, which the rebel pilot Luke Skywalker encountered, along with three TIE fighters, in the remote Tertiary Usaita system. Skywalker barely escaped in his starfighter, Y 4, although he was pursued by the Imperials.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
- "I have not asked you to judge the skills of this rogue, ensign. I had ordered them to destroy him."
- ―Lieutenant Pyparr
The Razor-class frigate was a capital ship reminiscent of an Imperial-class Star Destroyer but with a blockier structure. It featured a hexagonal command tower, which contained the ship's bridge. In turn, the bridge featured a sunken pit for crewmen and multiple trapezoidal viewports with controls beneath. On top of the tower sat a communications tower, with two deflector shield generator domes flanking it. The ship was armed with three dual laser cannons, which were located below the bow, and propelled by sublight engines.
History[edit | edit source]
- "Find the ship! Immediately!"
"He is badly damaged, ensign. He will undoubtedly be dragging himself to the next spaceport. We will see him again very soon."
- ―An Imperial ensign and Lieutenant Pyparr
During the Galactic Civil War, over a month after the Battle of Yavin, which marked the Rebel Alliance's first major victory against the Galactic Empire, the Razor-class frigate was in use by the Imperial Navy. At this time, the rebel pilot Luke Skywalker was assigned to recover Imperial communication logs. After traveling to the remote Tertiary Usaita system in his BTL-S3 Y-wing Starfighter, Y 4, Skywalker was ambushed by the Razor-class frigate Kreuge's Revenge, which was commanded by Lieutenant Pyparr and backed by three TIE/ln space superiority starfighters.
Pyparr contacted Skywalker, informing him that the system was restricted and that his fighter should prepare for inspection. However, the rebel chose to fight for the minute it would take for his droid, R2-D2, to calculate a hyperspace route. Skywalker managed to evade the fighters, even destroying one of them, but then his Y-wing was hit, killing his deflector shields. The frigate itself then started firing on the trespassing starfighter, allowing the TIEs to hit Skywalker's starboard engine.
Just before the rebel vessel would be destroyed, R2-D2 engaged the fighter's hyperdrive, bound for Devaron. On the Kreuge's Revenge's bridge, an Imperial ensign desperately ordered other officers to find the escaped craft. However, Pyparr reminded the ensign that the rebel ship had been badly damaged, accurately predicting that Skywalker would be going to the nearest spaceport. The lieutenant then ambushed Skywalker on Devaron, only to be defeated.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Notable appearances[edit | edit source]
The Razor-class frigate first appeared in Jason Fry's 2015 junior novel The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure. It was first pictured in "The Weapon of a Jedi, Part 1," the first portion of the novel's comic adaptation, which was written by Alec Worley and illustrated by Ruairí Coleman. The comic was included in the 2017 magazine Star Wars Magazin 19, which was released only in parts of Germany and Austria.
Design origins[edit | edit source]
- "I kinda had free reign for the design of this Imperial frigate: there was no design specified in the original book or script. Alec explained that it was maybe 1/5 the size of a Star Destroyer but that was it. The main factor I was considering when designing the ship was that it's only really seen a couple of times within a few pages of the comic so it had to be instantly recognisable as an Imperial vessel, hence I based it on the Star Destroyer. That way people will see it and know instantly that this is an Imperial ship, and a formidable one. The top is clearly based on the Star Destroyer, for the underneath I'm not sure what I was thinking! It looks more like a freighter than a frigate! If I had a chance to do it again I think I would go with something sleeker and put far more weaponry on it."
- ―Ruairí Coleman, on designing the Razor-class frigate
Since neither the novel nor the comic script specified a design for the Razor-class, illustrator Ruairí Coleman had free reign in creating the vessel's look, although writer Alec Worley did tell him the frigate was around one-fifth the size of a regular Star Destroyer. Considering that the ship would only appear in a few panels, Coleman sought to make it instantly recognizable as an Imperial craft, which is why he gave it a characteristic command tower. The artist admitted on Twitter that the bottom part of the ship looks more like a freighter than a frigate, and that if given the chance to do it again, he would give the vessel a sleeker design with far more weapons emplacements.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure (First appearance, simultaneous with The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure audiobook)
- The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure audiobook
- "The Weapon of a Jedi, Part 1"—Star Wars Magazin 19 (First pictured)