The reactor stalk was a long, cylindrical gas transportation conduit located underneath the main disk of Cloud City, an airborne Tibanna gas mining colony in the atmosphere of the Outer Rim gas giant, Bespin. Used as part of the city's gas mining operation, the reactor stalk acted as a conduit, transporting gas between the reactor bulb and the overhead reactor shafts. Gas mined from the lower atmosphere of Bespin by tractor beams was forced through an opening in the underside of the bulb and transported through the reactor stalk, eventually reaching the reactor shafts where processing vanes extracted the Tibanna gas.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The reactor stalk first appeared unnamed in the second Star Wars film, Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back, released in 1980. The device was first identified as the reactor stalk in the Legends reference book Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Trilogy, released in 2004, with the name being made canon in the 2016 reference book Star Wars: Complete Locations, the re-issue of 2005's Star Wars: Complete Locations.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Battlefront (DLC)
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back junior novelization
- Captured on Cloud City
- "Due on Batuu"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back (Mentioned only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Complete Locations (First identified as reactor stalk)