Inherited from the Alderaan military, they consisted of pips arranged on a brushed-metal backing. For example, the insignia of a captain comprised two equally sized dots centered on the same vertical line, as exemplified by Captain Hera Syndulla of the rebellion, and Captain Cassian Andor of the Alliance. The Alliance generals Dodonna, Willard, Draven, and Rieekan all wore a badge with five dots arranged in a quincunx. As a commander, Luke Skywalker wore a 3-blue rank badge with the double-dot row at the bottom. Major Bren Derlin's badge had three red dots arranged with two in a bottom row and the remainder above and between them.
Rank insignia[edit | edit source]
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
According to the Legends roleplaying book The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, the color of the pips indicates the branch of service, with blue designating navy and red designating army. This was partially retained in the canon reference book, Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide. However, other canon material shows the existence of plaques combining both colors, such as that of General Willard.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded (First identified as Rebel command insignia)
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Rebel Dossier
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 20 (Weapons & Uniforms: Leaders of the Rebel Alliance)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 23 (Weapons & Uniforms: Princess Leia Organa; Highlights of the Saga: Assault on Endor)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 26 (Weapons & Uniforms: Yavin Base) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 32 (Weapons & Uniforms: Echo Base) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 79 (Weapons & Uniforms: Rebel Leaders at Yavin 4) (Picture only)
- (Picture only)