- "Reckly over there? He's a drummer. […] I trained as a puppeteer. Do you seriously think I'd know how to build a bomb? That any of us would? We're artists."
- ―A young Oppositon member, to Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn
Reckly was a human male from the moon of the Inner Rim planet Pijal who lived during the Republic Era. A Pijali musician trained to play the drums, Reckly chose to join the Opposition, a political performance troupe led by Halin Azucca that protested the signing of the Governance Treaty due to its support of the Czerka Corporation's continued exploitation of Pijal's resources.
Around 40 BBY, the Pijali monarchy framed the Opposition for violent attacks on Czerka facilities, forcing the group into hiding on the planet's moon. While there, it discovered evidence that the Czerka attacks had been carried out by blackguards, a secret division of royal guards. Reckly and his colleagues helped the Jedi Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi escape from a blackguard confrontation to an Opposition hideout on the moon, where Azucca informed the pair of the troupe's framing.
- "If you look at our work—just our true work, in isolation—it's perfectly clear that we're protesting the Governance Treaty."
- ―Halin Azucca, about the work of Reckly and other Opposition members
The human musician Reckly hailed from the moon of the Inner Rim planet Pijal. He was trained to play the drums, a type of rhythmic musical instrument. At some point during the Republic Era, Reckly decided to join the Opposition, a political performance troupe of Pijali natives led by Halin Azucca. For some time, the group hosted theatrical performances on Pijal that showcased its opinions on local issues while also being informative to the public. By around 40 BBY, the Opposition began to protest the Governance Treaty, believing that the motion would cede irrevocable power to the Czerka Corporation, which had been exploiting the resources of Pijal and its moon for centuries.
Shortly after initiating several pranks to express their dissent of the treaty, members of the Opposition, including Reckly, were framed by the Pijali monarchy for several violent attacks on Czerka facilities. Due to the framing, the troupe members were forced into hiding on Pijal's moon, where they gathered evidence that the attacks blamed on the Opposition had been carried out by blackguards, a secret division of royal guards loyal to Pijal's Princess Fanry. During their mission to Pijal to investigate the Opposition, Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn and his Padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi, were attacked by blackguards while on the planet's moon. The Jedi's escape from their assailants was aided by members of the performance troupe, including Reckly.
Azucca led the Jedi and her colleagues to a nearby hideout, where she explained that the Opposition had entirely peaceful intentions. The troupe leader detailed that her organization's members had been framed for the recent attacks on Czerka facilities that had been committed by blackguards. A young Opposition member corroborated Azucca's claim to the Jedi, citing their members' innocuous former professions, including Reckly's training as a drummer. Azucca later gave Jinn a file containing evidence concerning the blackguards, which Reckly had helped collect, for use in the Jedi's investigation.
Personality and traitsEdit
- "Political art. Acts that might uplift the spirit while they informed the public. We staged shows in public places, played pranks, did whatever we could do to get attention. But we never, ever hurt anyone. That's the last thing any of us wanted."
- ―Halin Azucca, about the Oppositon's aims
As a drummer in the Opposition, Reckly enjoyed expressing his political opinions through performing arts. He protested the signing of the Governance Treaty, a motion he felt would be detrimental to the citizens of Pijal's moon. However, Reckly was unwilling to hurt others in the process and was averse to violence. One of his colleagues described Reckly's past occupation as a performing artist to be innocuous. Despite the danger that came from being framed, the drummer opted to stay with the Opposition instead of turning himself in to Pijal's government.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Master & Apprentice (First appearance, simultaneous with Master & Apprentice audiobook)
- Master & Apprentice audiobook (First appearance, simultaneous with Master & Apprentice)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Master & Apprentice establishes that the members of the Opposition in the troupe's hideout with Halin Azucca, which included Reckly, were human natives of Pijal's moon.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 Master & Apprentice
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ Master & Apprentice gives the age of Obi-Wan Kenobi as seventeen years old, while establishes that Kenobi was born fifty-seven years before the Battle of Yavin. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Yavin battle to 0 BBY, thereby placing Kenobi's birth in 57 BBY and the events of Master & Apprentice around 40 BBY.