During the Galactic Civil War, at least three X-wing starfighters used by Rebel pilots bore the name Red Five. Cadet Pedrin Gaul operated an X-wing dubbed Red Five in the Battle of Scarif, and also used the corresponding callsign, but was shot down and killed by TIE/ln space superiority starfighters.
Days later, Luke Skywalker and R2-D2 flew a T-65B X-wing starfighter dubbed Red Five in the Battle of Yavin. R2 was damaged by Darth Vader's TIE Advanced x1, but Skywalker used the Force to destroy the Galactic Empire's superweapon, the Death Star. Also his callsign, the Red Five designation became synonymous with the actual spacecraft that Skywalker flew.
Skywalker continued to operate his X-wing until the Battle of Vrogas Vas, when he deliberately collided with Vader in mid-flight to draw the focus of the battle to the planet's surface. Skywalker was rescued by Han Solo in the Millennium Falcon and was forced to abandon his craft.
Behind the scenesEdit
There are numerous continuity errors within Battle of Yavin scene as depicted in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, many of them introduced by the new computer-generated shots inserted into the The Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition. In the shot of the starfighters flying towards the Death Star, the Red Five has two red stripes on the trailing edge of the S-foils. In some of the subsequent shots, there are 3 or 5 stripes in the same spot. Similar continuity errors are also present in the main line of Star Wars comic books published by Marvel Comics.
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Luke vs. the Death Star - X-wing Assault"
- A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy
- Star Wars: A New Hope junior novelization
- Episode IV: A New Hope Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Star Wars: The Original Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- Star Wars Battlefront
- Princess Leia, Part I
- Chewie and the Courageous Kid
- The Weapon of a Jedi (Appears in flashback(s))
- The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
- Darth Vader 1: Vader (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars 4: Skywalker Strikes, Part IV
- Star Wars 5: Skywalker Strikes, Part V
- Star Wars 6: Skywalker Strikes, Part VI
- Darth Vader 6: Vader, Part VI (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars 7: From the Journals of Old Ben Kenobi: "The Last of His Breed"
- Star Wars 8: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part I
- Star Wars 11: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part IV (Indirect mention only)
- Vader Down, Part I
- Darth Vader 13: Vader Down, Part II (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 13: Vader Down, Part III (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back junior novelization (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel (Indirect mention only)
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Mission to Mos Eisley"
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales Episodes I-III
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "A Hero Discovered" (Appears in flashback(s)) (Appears in hologram)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.0 2.1
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- ↑ 6.00 6.01 6.02 6.03 6.04 6.05 6.06 6.07 6.08 6.09 6.10 6.11 6.12 Star Wars: Card Trader
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ Princess Leia, Part I
- ↑ The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Vader Down, Part I
- ↑ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Blu-ray Bonus Features
- ↑ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars