- "We'll rely on each other up there, like we always do. And as long as we do that, I'll go up against anything in the galaxy and like our chances."
- ―Garven Dreis, to Red Squadron prior to the Battle of Yavin
Red Squadron, also referred to as Red Group, was a starfighter squadron of X-wing starfighters that served as part of the Rebel Alliance's starfighter corps during the Galactic Civil War. The squadron participated in campaigns such as the Battle of Scarif, the Battle of Yavin and the Battle of Endor. Following the victory of the rebellion and the reformation of the Republic, Red Squadron was assimilated into the New Republic Defense Fleet.
Red Squadron took part in Operation Buckler, in which their objective was to acquire decommissioned Y-wing starfighters from the orbital scrapyard at Ord Biniir. Garven Dreis' strategy involved employing subterfuge to avoid raising enemy suspicions concerning rebel mobilisation in the Void of Chopani. To do this, several of the Squadron's X-wings were temporarily painted with pirate markings. Two designs were proposed, dubbed "Exterior Variant /1" and "Exterior Variant /2". The operation eventually resulted in success.
Battle of ScarifEdit
- "Red and Gold Squadrons, attack formation. Defend the fleet."
- ―Admrial Raddus giving Red and Gold Squadrons their orders
Red Squadron, under the command of Garven Dreis, participated in the Battle of Scarif along with Blue Squadron, Green Squadron, and Gold Squadron. Their X-wings assisted the rest of the Alliance fleet in engaging Imperial ships above the planet, combating countless TIE fighters, attacking the Shield Gate and the two Imperial I-class Star Destroyers protecting it. During the battle, Red Five (Pedrin Gaul) was killed by TIEs when he strayed too far from the group.
- Red Leader: Commander Garven Dreis and R5-K6
- Red Two: Unidentified X-wing pilot
- Red Three: Unidentified X-wing pilot
- Red Four: Unidentified X-wing pilot
- Red Five: Cadet Pedrin Gaul (KIA)
- Red Six: Jek Tono Porkins
- Red Seven: Cadet Harb Binli or Elyhek Rue
- Red Eight: Lieutenant Zal Dinnes
- Red Nine: Lieutenant Nozzo Naytaan
- Red Ten: Unidentified X-wing pilot
- Red Eleven: Major Ralo Surrel
- Red Twelve: Unidentified X-wing pilot
Battle of YavinEdit
- "All wings report in. — Red Ten standing by. — Red Seven standing by. — Red Three standing by. — Red Six standing by. — Red Nine standing by. — Red Two standing by. — Red Eleven standing by. — Red Five standing by."
- ―Red Squadron at the Battle of Yavin
Following the successful retrieval of the Death Star plans and heavy losses to the Rebel Alliance at Scarif, Red Squadron, along with Gold Squadron, participated in the Battle of Yavin under the command of Garven Dreis. X-wings from Red Squadron made the second and third trench run on the Death Star's thermal exhaust port, following an unsuccessful attempt by a trio of Gold Squadron's Y-wings. Red Leader (Garven Dreis) led the second trench run with wingmen Red Ten (Theron Nett) and Red Twelve (Puck Naeco), but were all destroyed by Darth Vader in his TIE Advanced x1. The third trench run was led by Red Five (Luke Skywalker) with wingmen Red Two (Wedge Antilles) and Red Three (Biggs Darklighter), but Darklighter was killed by Vader and Antilles suffered damage to his X-wing, leaving Skywalker exposed. At the last minute, the Millennium Falcon piloted by Han Solo and Chewbacca, destroyed two of the TIE fighters and damaged Vader's TIE, allowing Skywalker to score the critical hit which destroyed the Death Star and saved the Alliance forces on Yavin 4 from ultimate destruction.
- Red Leader: Commander Garven Dreis and R5-K6 (KIA)
- Red Two: Lieutenant Wedge Antilles and R2-A3
- Red Three: Biggs Darklighter and R2-F2 (KIA)
- Red Four: John D. Branon (KIA)
- Red Five: Luke Skywalker and R2-D2
- Red Six: Jek Tono Porkins and R5-D8 (KIA)
- Red Seven: Either Elyhek Rue or Harb Binli (KIA)
- Red Eight: Zal Dinnes (KIA)
- Red Nine: Lieutenant Nozzo Naytaan (KIA)
- Red Ten: Theron Nett and R2-X2 (KIA)
- Red Eleven: Major Ralo Surrel (KIA)
- Red Twelve: Puck Naeco (KIA)
Chasing after a PrincessEdit
- "Making visual contact, Red Two. It's an alluvial damper malfunction, all right."
"Shuttle's looking wobbly, Red Five. Give her a wide berth."
- ―Skywalker and Antilles, tricked by Organa and Verlaine
Following the destruction of the Death Star, the Rebel Alliance decided to evacuate their base on Yavin 4. Princess Leia Organa, along with a fellow Alderaanian rebel pilot named Evaan Verlaine, decided to defy the orders of the Alliance leadership and set out on a mission to find and protect surviving Alderaanians from the Empire. Red Two (Antilles) and Red Five (Skywalker), the only two members of Red Squadron to return from the battle of Yavin, intercepted the T-1 shuttle piloted by Verlaine and ordered them to turn back, but Organa and Verlaine were able to fool them both and slip away.
Post-Battle of YavinEdit
Later, Commander Arhul Narra was tasked by Alliance High Command to lead Red Squadron. Upon his taking command, Narra asked Lieutenant Skywalker and Antilles to continue to fly with Red Squadron but made it clear that neither of them should expect specialized treatment after destroying and surviving the Death Star.
Mission to GijuEdit
Red Squadron escorted a bulk freighter containing rescued agents from the planet Giju before Imperial agents arrived. They fought TIE fighters, destroying several before making the jump to hyperspace.
- Red Leader: Commander Arhul Narra
- Red Three: Lieutenant Wedge Antilles
- Red Five: Lieutenant Luke Skywalker
Skirmish in the Kiax NebulaEdit
- Red Leader: Commander Arhul Narra
- Red Two: Lieutenant Wedge Antilles
- Red Three: Jamman (KIA)
- Red Four: Elar
- Red Five: Luke Skywalker
Battle of Vrogas VasEdit
- "Vader down. I repeat. Darth Vader has been shot down on Vrogas Vas. This is Red Leader calling for assistance from all available alliance forces."
- ―Arhul Narra, at Vrogas Vas
Darth Vader, pursuing his son Luke in the aftermath of the Battle of Yavin, tracked him to the planet Vrogas Vas, where the Rebel Alliance had established a refueling base. He immediately encountered three squadrons of X-wings, including Red Squadron. Vader destroyed the other two squadrons before colliding with Luke's X-wing. Father and son both fell to the planet's surface, beginning the Battle of Vrogas Vas.
Hijacking of the HarbingerEdit
- "Red Three to Harbinger team. We're holding it down as best we can out here. Tell me you're making progress in there."
- ―Wedge Antilles, to the Harbinger hijack team
Red Squadron's X-wings participated in the hijacking of the Imperial I-class Star Destroyer Harbinger. The squadron engaged TIE fighters and carried out attack runs on the Harbinger's engine reactor. Luke Skywalker fired the final shot, which disabled the Harbinger, causing its crew to abandon the stricken Star Destroyer. Imperials on Lambda-class shuttles were quickly intercepted by Red Squadron's X-wings. Using the distraction to his advantage, Han Solo used the opportunity to board the Harbinger, by flying the Millennium Falcon straight into the Star Destroyer's hangar. Eventually, Solo's strike team, later accompanied by Skywalker, successfully took the Harbinger.
- Red Three: Lieutenant Wedge Antilles
- Red Five: Lieutenant Luke Skywalker
- Red Six: Unidentified X-wing pilot
- Red Seven: Unidentified X-wing pilot (KIA)
- Red Nine: Unidentified X-wing pilot (KIA)
Siege on Tureen VIIEdit
Red Squadron then participated in a mission to break the Imperial blockade on Tureen VII, alongside Blue Squadron and the recently hijacked Star Destroyer Harbinger, now crewed with Alliance personnel.
Mission to CraitEdit
Sometime before finding Echo Base on Hoth, Captain Luke Skywalker and Red Squadron escorted Leia Organa's survey team, which included Han Solo and Chewbacca, to the planet Crait. The mission was to survey an abandoned mining facility to determine its suitability as a new base for the Alliance, following their evacuation from Yavin. Organa had trusted Trusk Berinato, who was an old friend of her father and had previously recommended the location in the past. However, he double crossed the Rebels and SCAR Squadron attacked them. Red Squadron showed up in V-4X-D ski speeders and helped Organa's team escape. The planet was ultimately unsuitable as a new base.
Pre-Battle of EndorEdit
At some point before the Battle of Endor, after the command of Red Squadron was transferred to Antilles following his promotion to the rank of Commander, Skywalker declined to rejoin the squadron.
Battle of EndorEdit
- "Red Three, Red Two, pull in."
- ―Antilles, at Endor
Red Squadron participated in the Battle of Endor under the command of Wedge Antilles. The squadron was composed of a mix of starfighters, including A-wings, X-wings and Y-wings. Antilles and his fighters helped prevent Imperial TIE/IN interceptors from destroying the medical frigate Redemption. After Han Solo's strike team disabled the shield generator on Endor, Red and Gold Squadron led the attack into the bowels of the second Death Star. With Antilles at the front, he fired the first shot, with a pair of torpedoes at the power regulator on the reactor's north tower. This was followed up by a shot from Gold Leader into the main reactor, leading to its eventual destruction.
- Red Leader: Commander Wedge Antilles (X-wing)
- Red Two: Unidentified Y-wing pilot
- Red Three: Sila Kott (A-wing) (KIA)
- Red Five: Grizz Frix (X-wing) (KIA)
Behind the scenesEdit
In the novelization of A New Hope, Luke Skywalker and Wedge Antilles flew for Blue Squadron. Their squadron was changed to Red Squadron when it was realized that blue markings on the ships would be replaced by moving starfield during blue screen shots. Consequently, the name of the fighter group the novelization called Red Squadron was changed to Gold Squadron for the film.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 4.8 4.9 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Star Wars: The Last Jedi – The Storms of Crait 1
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 6.7 6.8 "Duty Roster"—From a Certain Point of View
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 7.6 7.7 7.8 Choose Your Destiny: A Luke & Leia Adventure
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 "Grounded"—From a Certain Point of View
- ↑ "Red Four"—Marvel Comics 1000
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 11.5 11.6 11.7 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 13.3 13.4 Vader Down 1
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 14.3 Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 15.3 15.4 15.5 15.6 Star Wars 22
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 16.3 Star Wars 25
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 Star Wars Battlefront
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 18.2 18.3 18.4 18.5 Star Wars: Rogue One: Rebel Dossier
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 20.2 Princess Leia 1
- ↑ Heir to the Jedi
- ↑ "Blade Squadron: Zero Hour"—Star Wars Insider 160
- ↑ Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
- ↑ Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!