- "As someone who's been with one human family for multiple generations, I'm well aware that the organic birthing process is rather complicated."
Reproduction was the biological process in which a new life form could be created from "parent" lifeforms. For humans, that process was the result of a sexual union between a male and a female, resulting in the female becoming pregnant and giving birth to children. Senator Padmé Amidala of Naboo became pregnant during the Clone Wars, with Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker as the father. Her pregnancy resulted in the birth of twins, Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa. By the time of the Clone Wars, it was believed that the human women of Coruscant no longer carried or delivered their own progeny and chose to hire others to do it for them. However, during his imprisonment and subsequent questioning on Vallt, Galen Erso disputed this, suggesting it may either be a myth or simply an exclusive practice of the Coruscanti elite.
Some species, like the tibidees of Stygeon Prime, would call out to the opposite sex in order to find a partner. That process was referred to as a "mating call." The Mon Calamari, on the other hand, spawned their offspring.
Reproduction could also be replicated via cloning, a process in which the DNA of one life form could be copied to produce genetically identical individuals. Prior to the Invasion of Naboo, the Kaminoans cloned bounty hunter Jango Fett, resulting in the eventual creation of the Grand Army of the Republic.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Although the 2002 film Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones established that the Jedi Order members couldn't marry nor have children, Star Wars creator George Lucas explained that despite their monastic regime, the Jedi were permitted to have sexual intercourse as long they didn't form attachments nor posessive relationships.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Princess Leia: Royal Rebel
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 2 (Databank A-Z: Alzoc III–Antilles)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 13 (Databank A-Z: Poe Dameron–Delta 7-B)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 15 (Weapons & Uniforms: The Grand Army of the Republic)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 32 (Databank A-Z: Kel Dor–Ki-Adi-Mundi)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 34 (Weapons & Uniforms: Citizens of Alderaan)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- Star Wars Rebels – "Rise of the Old Masters"
- Allegiance 2
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- George Lucas: 'I'm still 25'. BBC News. news.bbc.co.uk (2002-05-15). Archived from the original on October 18, 2002. Retrieved on August 14, 2020.