- "Dodonna's flagship is ready."
- ―Leia Organa
The Republic was an MC80A Home One Type Heavy Star Cruiser used by the Alliance to Restore the Republic during the Galactic Civil War following the mutiny on Mon Cala by General Jan Dodonna. After the conversion of Mon Calamari Star Cruisers was complete, the Republic served as the flagship of the Alliance Fleet.
Description[edit | edit source]
- "Sir, bay doors are sealed. All of them."
"So…comms are down. Artillery batteries are down. Hyperspace and propulsion engines are down. And now we are unable to launch fighters."
- ―A crewmember, and Jan Dodonna in the beginning of the attack on Mako-Ta
The Republic was an MC80A Home One Type Heavy Star Cruiser manufactured by Mon Calamari Shipyards. Like other Star Cruisers of the MC80A variant, the Republic was equipped with ten sublight engines, giving it speeds of 975 kilometers per hour. It was armed with thirty-six ion cannons, twenty-nine turbolaser batteries, and six tractor beam projectors. It was also equipped with a class one hyperdrive and a deflector shield generator. Like other MC80a cruisers, the Republic had a length of 1,300 meters, was crewed by over 5,000 personnel, and had a complement of ten starfighter squadrons, which included T-65B X-wing starfighters, which could launch from its hangar bays. The hangar bays also had windows and various monitor screens.
The bridge of the Republic had multiple stations and screens, as well as a large window for observing the environment. Similar to other Mon Calamari Star Cruisers that were converted at the Mako-Ta Space Docks following the mutiny on Mon Cala, the Republic was refitted with Shu-Torun systems which could all be disabled with encyrpted codes, preventing critical systems from functioning. Such systems included the hangar doors, hyperdrive, communications, armament, and engines.
Role[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Flagship of the Alliance[edit | edit source]
- "All the work. All the effort. All for what? To become target practice."
- ―Jan Dodonna, during the attack on Mako-Ta
After the mutiny on Mon Cala and the completion of its combat conversion, the Republic and other vessels of the Alliance Fleet were to disperse from each other so that they could attack crucial targets, and not a direct confrontation. The Republic was designated to General Jan Dodonna and his flagship, as well as the flagship of the Alliance Fleet. The Republic was present at the Mako-Ta Space Docks during a ceremony celebrating the new Alliance Fleet and to witness the dispersal of the rebel naval forces. During the ceremony, Dodonna was in one of the hangar bays where he spoke to Luke Skywalker and Wedge Antilles, after hearing Skywalker's excitement. Dodonna reminded Skywalker and Antilles that the rebel fleet would not be able to directly confront the Empire, but they now had the resources to engage crucial targets. After Skywalker relayed his understanding and that he was just excited, Dodonna comforted him by saying that he was not alone in that sentiment. Dodonna was soon called to the bridge of the starship, and informed an individual to update Leia Organa on Mako-Ta that the Republic would be ready when the rest of the fleet was.
After the subgroups checked in with Organa that they were ready, Dodonna gave the order to launch into hyperspace. An error, however, prevented the launch of the Republic along with the rest of the Alliance Fleet. The fault resulted in the failure of all launches, downed communications, inoperative engines, and the ships being unable to launch their starfighters. At the same time, Death Squadron, under the command of Darth Vader, arrived and fired on the nearest cruiser, General Vanden Willard's cruiser.
Attack on Mako-Ta[edit | edit source]
Initial onslaught[edit | edit source]
After Willard's cruiser was destroyed, Death Squadron began engaging other vessels that were gathered near the Mako-Ta Space Docks, including the Republic. Although many systems were down, the starship's shield generator was still active. As nearby cruisers were attacked and destroyed, Meorti and Dodonna attempted various ways to unseal the hangar doors, but all failed. Eventually, Han Solo, Chewbacca, and C-3PO arrived onboard the Millennium Falcon and were engaged by Imperial forces, which Skywalker and Antilles witnessed from a hangar bay window. After destroying several pursuing TIE fighters, the Millennium Falcon attempted to land on the Republic, but was damaged by Vader in his TIE Advanced x1 and forced to abort.
During the dogfight between the Millennium Falcon and Vader, Solo attempted another landing, although Vader fired missiles and Solo was forced to go near the Republic's hull, which successfully destroyed the missiles as they impacted the hull of the cruiser. After Commander Lajaie's cruiser was destroyed and exploded into a fireball, Solo piloted the Falcon through the explosion and debris in an effort to lose Vader, which was not entirely successful as Vader followed but had become more distant. Chewbacca then loaded C-3P0 into an escape pod and launched him towards the Republic. The escape pod crashed unto the hull of the cruiser, and C-3P0 was able to find an airlock near the hangar, where he was pulled in by Skywalker and R2-D2. There, C-3P0 told them that the hangar doors will open when flown nearby with rebel signals, as the fail-safe was operational despite the system breakdown.
With the new intelligence, Skywalker ordered all other pilots to board their X-wing starfighters and fly at the hangar doors. Although General Dodonna initially commanded Skywalker to stand down and that they needed to run tests, Skywalker relayed that he would be the test. Dodonna gave a final stand down order, but Skywalker continued and was successful, as the hangar doors opened right before he flew through them. Upon witnessing this, Meorti told the other pilots to launch immediately. With the others launching, Skywalker reminisced about Jyn Erso and Rogue One, and decided to name the assortment of pilots Rogue Squadron.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The Republic first appeared in Star Wars 50 but was first identified in Star Wars 55. In one panel in Star Wars 54, the Republic is depicted as a different model of starship, which was inconsistent with the panels directly before and after the erroneous one.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars 50 (First appearance)
- Star Wars 51
- Star Wars 52
- Star Wars 53 (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars 54
- Star Wars 55 (First identified as Republic)
- Star Wars 61 (Indirect mention only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Ultimate Star Wars establishes that MC80A Home One Type Heavy Star Cruisers were manufactured by Mon Calamari Shipyards, had a complement of 10 squadrons of starfighters, was equipped with ten sublight thrusters, and had a crew of over 5,000. Since the Republic is an MC80a star cruiser, then it must have these same statistics.
- Star Wars 55
- MC80A Home One Type Heavy Star Cruiser was a type of Star Cruiser, and was equipped with deflector shield generators. Since the Republic is an MC80a star cruiser, it must have be a Star Cruiser and also have deflector shield generators. states that the
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles states that the MC80A Home One Type Heavy Star Cruiser was 1,300 meters in length, could reach speeds of 975 kilometers per hour, was equipped with a class 1 hyperdrive, twenty-nine turbolaser cannons, thirty-six ion cannons, and six tractor beam projectors. Since the Republic was an MC80a star cruiser, it must also have those specifications.
- Star Wars 50
- According to Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition, the Assault on the Mako-Ta Space Docks occurred around a year after the Battle of Yavin. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas establishes that the battle marks the beginning of 0 ABY, the Assault, including the destruction of the Republic, must take place around 1 ABY.
- Star Wars 51
- Star Wars 52
- Star Wars 54