The Republic Defense Coalition (RDC) was a rapid deployment force of Galactic Republic that was active during the High Republic Era. The Republic Defense Coalition maintained a small peacekeeping fleet, which included the Emissary-class Republic Cruiser Third Horizon, commanded by Admiral Pevel Kronara. The RDC was governed by the Republic Defense Coalition treaties.
By the time of the Great Hyperspace Disaster in 232 BBY, the Republic did not require a standing military force, as both the expanding Hutts remained quiet and the Mandalorians had not caused trouble for some time. Instead, the RDC relied on its Emissary-class cruisers as well as smaller craft for support. However, should a serious threat emerge, the RDC could activate the treaties it had signed with Republic worlds such as Alderaan and Chandrila, asking for ships and personnel which would be returned once the emergency had passed.
In 232 BBY, the Hetzal system was threatened when a freighter ship called the Legacy Run was torn apart in hyperspace, causing anomalies to shoot towards the system's three inhabited bodies. Ships of the RDC had been present in the Outer Rim for a conclave between the Jedi Order and the Republic on the Starlight Beacon space station and, as such, the Third Horizon was sent to save the star system, with Jedi Master Avar Kriss in charge of the operation.
- "Starlight: Part One - Go Together"—Star Wars Insider 199 (First appearance)
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi (First identified as RDC, simultaneous with The High Republic: Light of the Jedi audiobook)
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi audiobook (First identified as RDC, simultaneous with The High Republic: Light of the Jedi)
- The High Republic: The Great Jedi Rescue (First pictured)
- The High Republic 1
- "Starlight: Go Together: Part Two"—Star Wars Insider 200
- The High Republic 2
- The High Republic 7 (Mentioned only)
- The High Republic: Race to Crashpoint Tower (Indirect mention only)
- The High Republic: Race to Crashpoint Tower audiobook (Indirect mention only)
- The High Republic: Out of the Shadows
- The High Republic: Out of the Shadows audiobook
- "Starlight: Past Mistakes"—Star Wars Insider 205–206 (Mentioned only)
- The High Republic: Tempest Runner (In flashback(s))
Notes and references
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi
- The main events of The High Republic: Light of the Jedi occur several weeks before the dedication of the Starlight Beacon, which The Star Wars Book dates to 232 years before the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. Since Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of that film to 0 BBY, it can be determined that the main events of Light of the Jedi occur around the year 232 BBY.