- "Before the outbreak of war, the twilight of the Republic was an era of distractions, with citizens from all walks of life following escapist pursuits. Historians rebuke the people of this last age for being taken in by such circuses when their attentions should have been focused on the malfeasances and corruption in the Senate and other governing institutions."
The Republic Era, also known as the Twilight of the Republic, the Twilight of the Old Republic, the era of the Republic, or the Great Peace, referred to the state of the galaxy that predated the Fall of the Galactic Republic.
It was characterized by the lack of galaxy-spanning wars although smaller sector and system conflicts, such as the Stark Hyperspace War or the Mandalorian Civil War, consumed the time and energy of the Galactic Republic and Jedi Order. It was remembered by New Republic period historians as the last era of peace in galactic history.
The Great Peace began at the end of the Jedi-Sith War, when the Sith were believed to have been defeated by the Jedi Order, and the Old Republic was reformed into the Galactic Republic. During this time, the Jedi Order enjoyed political ascension, constructing a new academy on Coruscant to train Jedi younglings in the way of the Force.
The First Battle of Geonosis marked the end of the Great Peace and the beginning of the Clone Wars; having mobilized a clone army to serve as its new military, the Republic went to war against the Confederacy of Independent Systems, led by the former Jedi-turned-Sith Lord Count Dooku. The Sith had not completely died out at the end of their war with the Jedi, and had been plotting for centuries to overthrow the Jedi and the Republic.
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Duel of Destiny" (Appears in hologram)
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Exit from Endor" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as Twilight of the Republic)
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
- Star Wars: Alien Archive (First identified as era of the Republic)
- Rise of the Separatists (First identified as Great Peace)
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Rise of the Separatists
- ↑ Star Wars: The Dark Side
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- ↑ Tarkin
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voyage of Temptation"
- ↑ Age of Republic - Qui-Gon Jinn 1
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ Obi-Wan and Anakin 1
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ Darth Vader 9
- ↑ Star Wars 26
- ↑ Star Wars: Alien Archive