The Republic Fourth Fleet was a numbered fleet of the Republic Navy that saw action during the Clone Wars between the Galactic Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Created in 22 BBY, the fleet was one of multiple Republic fleets scrambled to counter the Confederate Subjugator-class heavy cruiser, the Malevolence.
However, despite its efforts, much of the Republic Fourth Fleet was lost to the Malevolence before it engaged the fleet of Jedi General Plo Koon and his flagship, the Venator-class Star Destroyer Triumphant. The Malevolence was eventually destroyed during the Battle of the Kaliida Nebula by the Open Circle Fleet.
Behind the scenes
The Republic Fourth Fleet was first mentioned in the new Star Wars canon in the 2021 reference book Star Wars: Battles that Changed the Galaxy. In the Star Wars Legends continuity, the Galactic Republic Fourth Fleet originated via mention in 2008's The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia.
- Star Wars: Battles that Changed the Galaxy (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Battles that Changed the Galaxy
- Per Star Wars: Battles that Changed the Galaxy, the Republic Fourth Fleet belonged to the Republic Navy. The navy, according to Rise of the Separatists, was established at the outbreak of the Clone Wars, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 22 BBY. Battles that Changed the Galaxy establishes that the fleet participated in the Malevolence Campaign, which is depicted in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode "Rising Malevolence" that places between the episodes "Supply Lines" and "Bombad Jedi." The events of "Supply Lines" and "Bombad Jedi" are dated to 22 BBY by Galactic Atlas, thus placing the Malevolence Campaign and the founding of the Republic Fourth Fleet in the same year.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rising Malevolence"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Destroyer Malevolence"
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 280 ("Malevolence (I)")