- "I'm sure the Republic Security Council wants to treat it purely as a military operation, but diplomacy is required for these… now you're just humoring me."
- ―Padmé Amidala, to Anakin Skywalker after the latter smiled
The Republic Security Council, or the Security Council, was a Galactic Senate committee of the Galactic Republic that was responsible for protecting the Republic, and as such a large role in overseeing the war effort during the Clone Wars. The Security Council wanted to treat the Cadesura disaster as a military matter, according to Republic Senator Padmé Amidala. It also served to advise the Supreme Chancellor, as well as possessed the ability to activate any of the Grand Army's 150 general orders.
The Republic Security Council, or simply the Security Council, was a Galactic Senate committee of the Galactic Republic that was responsible for protecting the Republic itself. Formerly, it made recommendations to the Senate, but pivoted to advise Supreme Chancellor Palpatine on which planets to defend and which areas should see an offensive during the Clone Wars. The Security Council, along with the Supreme Chancellor, could activate any of the 150 general orders each clone trooper in the Grand Army of the Republic memorized. Conversely, the Military Oversight Committee handled matters regarding Republic Military spending and efficacy.
The Security Council played a large role in overseeing the Republic's war effort against the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars that took place from 22 BBY to 19 BBY. In 22 BBY, shortly after the Cadesura disaster on the Colonies planet Cato Neimoidia, Republic Senator Padmé Amidala speculated to her secret husband, Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker, that the Republic Security Council would want to treat the situation as a military matter. As such, she stated that she needed to speak with Chancellor Palpatine before he made any decisions. Skywalker smiled, interrupted her and both agreed to move on from speaking of their responsibilities as they were on a social date. The 150 general orders were implemented following the Battle of Ringo Vinda in 19 BBY.
Behind the scenes
The Security Council was first mentioned in the new Star Wars canon in the Fantasy Flight Games roleplaying sourcebook Rise of the Separatists, which was released in 2019. It was subsequently identified as the Republic Security Council in the 2022 novel by Mike Chen, Brotherhood. The Security Council previously existed in Star Wars Legends, being mentioned in the novel Republic Commando: True Colors, written by Karen Traviss and released in 2007 as part of the Republic Commando series.
- Brotherhood (Mentioned only) (First identified as Republic Security Council, simultaneous with Brotherhood audiobook)
- Brotherhood audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Rise of the Separatists (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- Rise of the Separatists
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Brotherhood is set between the First Battle of Geonosis and the Battle of Christophsis, both of which are dated to 22 BBY by Star Wars: Galactic Atlas.
- "The End of the Clone Wars" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the trial of Ahsoka Tano and the mission to Utapau to 19 BBY. As the episode this event takes place within takes place between the events of the episodes the other events are attached to according to , this event must take place in 19 BBY.
- Republic Commando: True Colors