The Republic courts were judicial assemblies that were part of the Galactic Republic's Judicial Department. Their jurisdiction was primarily over disputes between planets, such as taxation and trade between star systems or crimes committed outside orbital space. Most other issues were settled locally, covered by either regional or planetary legal systems. In fact, the majority of cases prosecuted in the Republic courts involved regional governements, large corporations, pirates and outlaws active in multiple sectors, with the occasional issue of sentients' rights.
The courts were housed in the Galactic Courts of Justice building on Coruscant, and their personnel consisted of many prosecutors, barristers, bureaucrats, researchers, and subject-matter experts. There was a hierarchy within the courts, the highest being the Supreme Court. After the Battle for Ontotho, the Ontothon government was exposed as corrupt and was being dealt with in Republic courts.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (Mentioned only)
- Jedi Fallen Order - Dark Temple 2 (Mentioned only) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Jedi Fallen Order - Dark Temple 5 (Mentioned only) (Appears in flashback(s))