Following the Battle over Coruscant, Luke Skywalker, along with Leia Organa, Lando Calrissian and Chewbacca organized a plan to rescue Han Solo from the Hutt crime lord, Jabba Desilijic Tiure. The campaign comprised two incidents; the Mission to Jabba's Palace and the Battle of the Great Pit of Carkoon. Ideally the skirmish at the Great Pit of Carkoon would never have taken place and the foray into Jabba's Palace would have entailed several potential phases.
Infiltration of Jabba's palaceEdit
The first phase had Lando infiltrate Jabba's Palace, disguised as the guard Tamtel Skreej, as a contingency should anything go wrong. The second phase involved sending R2-D2 and C-3PO to the palace to peacefully offer Jabba the opportunity to release Han, with the droids themselves as a gift. When this failed, phase three involved Leia, posing as the bounty hunter Boushh, delivering a supposedly-captured Chewbacca to Jabba for a bounty. Leia would have then freed Han in the night, released Chewbacca and escaped with them and Lando. When Jabba saw through the attempted rescue and captured all three (excluding Lando, who remained in disguise), they were forced to move to the final phase. Luke Skywalker entered the palace and, by means of several Force techniques made his way to Jabba's throne room. He underestimated Jabba however and, after killing Jabba's pet rancor, wound up captured and sentenced to death, along with Han and Chewbacca.
Trip to the Pit of CarkoonEdit
After being condemned to death in the gullet of the sarlacc, Luke, Han and Chewbacca were taken to the Pit of Carkoon in the Dune Sea. They were transported on a desert skiff while Jabba and his minions traveled on Khetanna, Jabba's luxury sail barge. Once there, Luke was able to free himself with the help of R2-D2, and after a pitched struggle that saw the destruction of Jabba and his criminal empire, as well as the supposed demise of Boba Fett, Luke, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, Lando, and the droids escaped unharmed and made their way back to the Rebel fleet.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Rescue of Han Solo first appeared in the beginning of the 1983 film Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, the final installment of the Star Wars original trilogy. Though popularly assumed that George Lucas thought up the opening, it was, in reality, the idea of writer and director Richard Marquand and Lawrence Kasdan. The fact was eventually revealed via transcripts of meetings from The Making of Return of the Jedi.
- Heir to the Empire Sourcebook
- Shadows of the Empire novel
- Star Wars 71: Return to Stenos (First appearance)
- Star Wars 77: Chanteuse of the Stars...
- Star Wars 79: The Big Con
- Of the Day's Annoyances: Bib Fortuna's Tale
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi novel
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi junior novel
- Tales from Jabba's Palace
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
- The Ordeal of Boba Fett (Mentioned only)
- The Mandalorian Armor (Appears in hologram)
- Hard Merchandise (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars 81: Jawas of Doom (Appears in flashback(s))
- A Credit for Your Thoughts (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Coloring Book (Max Rebo) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Coloring Book (Luke Skywalker) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Word Puzzles
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Coloring Book (1984) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Technical Journal of the Planet Tatooine
- The Last Command Sourcebook
- Star Wars Technical Journal
- Galaxy Guide 5: Return of the Jedi, Second Edition
- The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
- The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook
- The Essential Chronology
- The New Essential Chronology
- Jabba's Skiff Guards - A Leland Chee blog at StarWars.com