- "Gunray's capture could be a serious threat to us, my friend. The viceroy will not last long under Jedi interrogation."
"I have already put a plan into action, my Lord. My best agent, Asajj Ventress, will infiltrate the Jedi ship, and either free Gunray, or silence him."
- ―Darth Sidious and Darth Tyranus
The Confederacy of Independent Systems launched a mission during the Clone Wars to free Trade Federation Viceroy Nute Gunray, whom the Galactic Republic had captured on Rodia. As Gunray was being transported back to Coruscant by Jedi Master Luminara Unduli, Padawan Ahsoka Tano, Clone Commander CC-1004 "Gree," and Senate Commando Captain Faro Argyus on the Venator-class Star Destroyer Tranquility, the ship was infiltrated by Asajj Ventress and eventually attacked by several vulture droids and boarding ships that deployed B2-series super battle droids. While Green Company was attacked by the droids, Ventress planted explosives and destroyed the reactor room. After defeating Unduli in a duel and escaping Tano, she escaped the ship with Gunray and Argyus, who betrayed the Republic and incapacitated Gree to free Gunray. However, Argyus was executed by Ventress as the three escaped in a stolen Consular-class cruiser.
In 22 BBY, Trade Federation Viceroy Nute Gunray was captured on Rodia by Senators Padmé Amidala and Onaconda Farr. Gunray was detained on the Tranquility under guard of Jedi Master Luminara Unduli, Padawan Ahsoka Tano, Clone Commander CC-1004 “Gree,” and Senate Commando Captain Faro Argyus and was to be taken to Coruscant for trial. Meanwhile, Darth Sidious tasked his apprentice Count Dooku with freeing the captured Gunray. Dooku planned to send the dark acolyte Asajj Ventress to distract the Jedi while Argyus, who had been personally assigned to the mission by Chancellor Palpatine, would reveal himself as a traitor to help Gunray escape. Sidious questioned her abilities but allowed Dooku to send Ventress in.
While the Jedi were interrogating Gunray, a clone naval officer informed them that a Separatist boarding party was arriving out of hyperspace. The ships deployed B2-series super battle droids and B2-HA series super battle droids into the hangar, and the Separatist forces quickly overwhelmed and defeated Green Leader and the clones of Green Company. As the clones were killed, Ventress emerged from one of the boarding craft and as she made her way to the reactor room, beheaded a surviving clone and claiming his comlink. Infiltrating the ceiling vents, she dropped into the reactor room, evading 327-T and a patrol consisting of a Captain and another trooper, and finally planting explosives.
Unduli and Gree reinforced the clones defending the hallways after Unduli assigned Tano, Argyus, and a group of Senate Commandos to guard Gunray. However, Ventress made her way to the detention level and attacked the guards, killing two Senate Commandos and, knowing her ally Argyus needed to protect his cover, Force-pushed the Captain into a wall before being attacked by Tano. After an exchange of insults, Ventress began to duel Tano. Outmaneuvering the young Padawan, Ventress deactivated the laser gate of Gunray's cell and kicked Tano into it. As Gunray quickly escaped the cell, he reactivated the lasers, trapping Tano inside. However, before Ventress and Gunray could escape, Unduli and a force of clones arrived. Unduli freed Tano, and the two Jedi dueled Ventress until she triggered the explosives in the reactor room fleeing the Jedi during the ensuing explosion.
Despite regaining custody of Gunray, Argyus reported that the damage to the ship was extensive. While Gunray was taken back to his cell, Unduli decided to pursue Ventress alone. Tano offered to help, but Unduli tasked her with continuing to guard Gunray. Unduli tracked her to the reactor room, but was injured in a surprise attack by Ventress, who slashed open a pipe that damaged Unduli's left eye. Nevertheless, Unduli held her own against Ventress, even taunting her and calling her technique sloppy.
Meanwhile, an anxious Tano voiced her wish to aid Unduli against Ventress, and cleverly, Argyus encouraged her to disobey her and help. Tano arrived as Ventress kicked Unduli and trapped her under debris, saving her from a killing blow before freeing the Jedi Master and confronting Ventress together. Ventress opted to flee, signaling Argyus with her stolen comlink to free Gunray. Argyus shot two remaining Senate Commandos and then engaged in blaster combat with Gree. When Gree shot the blaster out of his hand, Argyus freed Gunray and used him as a living shield. When Gree notified Unduli of the betrayal, Ventress re-engaged the Jedi to prevent them from supporting Gree.
When Gree demanded the now weaponless Argyus to surrender, Argyus shoved Gunray into Gree, taking advantage the Commander's surprise to kick off his helmet and disarm him. Gree then punched Argyus in the face, but before he could take aim at him, Gunray claimed a blaster and knocked out Gree from behind. When Argyus signaled Ventress that Gunray had been freed, she escaped back through the vent, throwing a thermal detonator at the Jedi to deter their pursuit. Argyus and Gunray commandeered a Consular-class cruiser and retrieved Ventress, who had escaped the Tranquility in an escape pod. As Argyus congratulated them on their success, Ventress decided to execute him.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cloak of Darkness" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Lair of Grievous" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Jedi Crash" (Appears in flashback(s))
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- "Asajj Ventress: A-Typical Anti-Hero"—Star Wars Insider 159
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 10 (Helmets: In Pictures)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 22 (Databank A-Z: Gungans–Rako Hardeen) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 27 (Helmets: Commander Gree)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 30 (Highlights of the Saga: The Betrayal of Captain Argyus)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bombad Jedi"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Storm Over Ryloth"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Lair of Grievous"
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 4.13 4.14 4.15 4.16 4.17 4.18 4.19 4.20 4.21 4.22 4.23 4.24 4.25 4.26 4.27 4.28 4.29 4.30 4.31 4.32 4.33 4.34 4.35 4.36 4.37 4.38 4.39 4.40 4.41 4.42 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cloak of Darkness"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars Helmet Collection 30 (Highlights of the Saga: The Betrayal of Captain Argyus)