The Resistance transport was a model of transport used by the Resistance composed by parts taken from different craft during their conflict against the First Order. One of these vehicles was carrying Leia Organa and her entourage at the end of the Battle of Takodana.
The transport was cobbled together by Resistance technicians from parts with different purposes and origins. The ship was controlled from a repurposed B-wing Mark II cockpit module that was locked in place and restructured to allow for a docking hatch. The B-wing's life-support systems and portside deflector shield projectors were relocated to within the adjacent cowling, which reduced cockpit visibility and forced the pilot to use holographic visual displays and a sensor suite. Engine pods were taken from Republic-era Montura-class shuttles, as they were sturdy and reliable. Faster-than-light travel was allowed thanks to two knockoff S/min-12a hyperdrive, a miniaturized model engineered on the base of First Order designs. Passengers traveled inside two modular compartments found aboard freighters and cut-price starliners. These compartments were connected and encased with a shell of surplus hull plating. Cockpit was linked to passenger area thanks to a tunnel.
Although it was usually escorted by starfighters, the transport could defend itself. The standard armament consisted in a Gyrhil R-9X heavy laser cannon, but sometimes other weapons were added: an ion cannon, a proton torpedo launcher and two autoblasters beneath the cockpit. In the standard version a precision targeting laser helped the pilot. Cockpit and weapons pod were protected by deflector shield generators salvaged from B-wings, while their overlapping fields shielded passenger compartments.
The transports were used by the Resistance in its conflict against the First Order. Their use was to deploy troops on ground, after being escorted by fighter to reach the surface. One such craft transported General Leia Organa and her entourage to Takodana when the Resistance rescued Han Solo, Chewbacca, Finn and the droid BB-8 from temporary captivity. The transport was piloted by Cova Nell and reached the ground only when First Order forces led by Kylo Ren had been already put to flight, and General Organa could speak with Han Solo after the end of the battle.
Behind the scenesEdit
The transports appear in the 2015 film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. The craft went through many design variations, and was one of the final vehicles to be created. The version seen in the film was created by art director Kevin Jenkins, inspired by a Chinook helicopter turned sideways. At Celebration London 2016, during the DK Panel, the Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections illustrator Kemp Remillard revealed that as an Easter egg he drew himself, author Jason Fry, and other DK staff as the soldiers in the starship's spread.
In the 2018 reference book Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles, the transport was mis-titled as an SS-54 assault ship.
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Star Wars: Force Arena
- Poe Dameron 25: Legend Found, Part VI
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel
- The Force Awakens, Part IV
- "Flight of the Falcon, Part 5: Grand Theft Falcon"—Star Wars Adventures 18
- Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire (Indirect mention only)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Resistance Rises – "Hunting for Han"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Resistance Rises – "Rey Strikes Back"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections (First identified as Resistance transport, simultaneous with Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as Resistance transport, simultaneous with Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections)
- The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- LEGO Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (Set: 75140 Resistance Troop Transporter)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- X-Wing: Second Edition – Resistance Transport Expansion Pack (Card: Cova Nell—Resistance Transport)
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ X-Wing: Second Edition – Resistance Transport Expansion Pack (Card: Cova Nell—Resistance Transport)
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- ↑ Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles