Restraining bolts were small, cylindrical devices that could be affixed to a droid in order to limit its functions and enforce its obedience. When inserted, a restraining bolt restricted the droid from any movement its master did not desire, and also forced it to respond to signals produced by a hand-held control unit. Some droids felt sheer horror at the mere mention of restraining bolts. Restraining bolts were also used in the construction of Jawa ion blasters; they, along with accu-accelerators from a starship's ion engine, were fitted to the blaster's firing mechanism.
Droids could not remove restraining bolts from themselves or other droids.
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Sabine My Rebel Sketchbook
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 11 (Weapons & Uniforms: Inhabitants of Tatooine)
- Star Wars: Build Your Own R2-D2 2 (Droid Directory: 3PO-series Protocol Droids, Part 1)
- Star Wars: Build Your Own R2-D2 10 (Building the Galaxy: Visual Effects Part 1) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Tales from Vandor
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 57 (Weapons & Uniforms: Chopper Base–Atollon)
- Star Wars: How Not to Get Eaten by Ewoks and Other Galactic Survival Skills
- Gadgets and Gear