Rey's lightsaber was built of salvaged materials from the maker's quarterstaff and a cloth handgrip. The weapon had a kyber crystal at its heart, and emitted a white-gold-colored plasma blade when ignited. The emitter matrix on Rey's weapon featured a rotating gear-like mechanism, which caused the emitter of the lightsaber to open up and allow the plasma blade through.
During the First Order–Resistance war, Rey began to construct her own lightsaber with parts from her quarterstaff in her quarters at the base on Ajan Kloss. She was considering a hinged design with an emitter at either end, but decided against it after facing a dark vision of herself in the wreckage of the second Death Star. In the lead-up to the Battle of Exegol, the hand-made droid D-O rustled through Rey's workbench, almost disturbing the lightsaber, before being chastised by Rey's friend and fellow Resistance member, Finn.
Subsequent to the end of the war between the First Order and the Resistance, Rey traveled to the planet Tatooine. There, Rey unveiled her finished, single-bladed weapon after burying the two lightsabers of her mentors, Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa, at the ruins of the Lars homestead—the former place of residence of the Skywalker family. Shortly thereafter, she was approached by an old woman who queried her identity. With the blessing of Luke and Leia's spirits, the Jedi declared herself "Rey Skywalker." The lightsaber which she had created would honor the Skywalker legacy.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars Battlefront II (DLC)
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition audiobook
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel audiobook
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars Battlefront II
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary dates the events of Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker to one year after the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of The Force Awakens to 34 ABY, the events of The Rise of Skywalker, which includes the creation of Rey Skywalker's lightsaber, must occur in 35 ABY.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 — The kyber crystal Databank entry states that there is a kyber crystal "at the heart of every Jedi lightsaber."
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel
- ↑ Star Wars: Complete Locations