- "I visited the slopes on the Rhinnal island though."
"Did you ski?"
"No. I wanted to see the environmental controls. To maintain that much snow in this heat…"
- ―Elzar Mann and Samera Ra-oon
Rhinnal was a cold planet which was a member of the Galactic Republic during the High Republic Era. Considered a key world of the Republic, Rhinnal received a sky-island with a replication of its environment for the Valo Republic Fair held around 231 BBY, which contained a turbo-ski run.
Since Valo was a considerably warmer planet than Rhinnal, Jedi Master Elzar Mann visited the island to see how its environmental controls were able to maintain the snow on the island despite the summer heat, later mentioning the visit to fair Coordinator Samera Ra-oon. Agreeing that the island was a feat of enviro-engineering, Ra-oon insisted that Mann try the ski run when he had time, offering to guide him after the fair's opening ceremony. However, an attack by the Nihil pirates destroyed the sky-islands, preventing Mann from revisiting the Rhinnal island.
Behind the scenes
Rhinnal was first canonically mentioned in the 2021 novel The High Republic: The Rising Storm, written by Cavan Scott for the Star Wars: The High Republic multimedia project. In the Star Wars Legends continuity, Rhinnal was first mentioned in the "Galaxywide NewsNets" feature, authored by Paul Sudlow, in the fifth issue of West End Games' Star Wars Adventure Journal magazine, which was published in February 1995.
The planet received an illustration in the 1998 West End Games Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game supplement The Far Orbit Project, authored by Timothy S. O'Brien, and later made its debut appearance in The Fury of Darth Maul, the 1999-published third entry in the Star Wars: Episode I Adventures junior-novel series written by Ryder Windham.
- The High Republic: The Rising Storm (First mentioned, simultaneous with The High Republic: The Rising Storm audiobook)
- The High Republic: The Rising Storm audiobook (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- The High Republic: The Rising Storm
- The High Republic: The Rising Storm features the Valo Republic Fair, Attack on Valo, and the Battle of Grizal, all of which take place in 231 BBY according to .
- "Galaxywide NewsNets" – Star Wars Adventure Journal 5
- The Far Orbit Project
- Episode I Adventures 3: The Fury of Darth Maul