- "You have to let us have it. Please. We need to know everything we can about the Death Star."
- ―Riij Winward, to Shada D'ukal
In 0 BBY, Winward helped Shada D'ukal and Karoly D'ulin, who were disguised as the Tonnika sisters at that time, to escape from a local prison in Mos Eisley. He intended to get some information about the Hammertong, a prototypical part of the Death Star II laser. Eventually, the Mistryl Shadow Guards wouldn't allow him to take the part of the weapon with him, but Winward stole their astromech D4, along with a technical readout of the device—promising politely to return it once the Alliance had acquired the information.
In 2.5 ABY, he and Rathe Palror were ordered to look after a load of blasters smuggled to Derra IV by Haber Trell and Maranne Darmic. On their way, they were captured by the Imperial Star Destroyer Admonitor. Captain Dagon Niriz instructed them to deliver an unknown load to Coronet, Corellia. While on Corellia he and Rathe got into a fight they nearly lost with the Brommstaad Mercenaries and even told Corran Horn why anyone should join the Rebellion. He was probably killed when the Hopskip was destroyed in the Battle of Derra IV.
- Hammertong: The Tale of the "Tonnika Sisters" (First appearance)
- "Side Trip"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 12
- Specter of the Past (Mentioned only)