A riot shield was a type of physical shield or personal deflector shield that was carried by hand. It was primarily used by security forces, law enforcement and the military. The primary use of the riot shield was to protect the user from lightly armed aggression in crowd-control by law enforcement, however they were also used in battle.
One such example of a riot shield being used in a military situation was at the Citadel prison during the Clone Wars, when the droid commandos that guarded the prison carried riot shields at the Battle of Lola Sayu. The clone trooper CT-1409 attempted to use a riot shield to prevent the droid commandos from destroying the Republic squad's escape transport during the battle, but the riot shield was ineffective against the laser turret and he was nearly killed in the explosion that followed.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Force Arena
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duchess of Mandalore"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Citadel"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Counterattack"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Citadel Rescue"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sabotage"
- Doctor Aphra 31
- Star Wars 51
- Age of Resistance - Finn 1
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization
- "Tales of Villainy: Follow and Lead"—Star Wars Adventures 2
Sources[edit | edit source]
- (image 7 of 9) (First identified as Riot shield)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 18 (Helmets: First Order Stormtroopers)
- Knights of Fate
- Star Wars Search and Find Volume I
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars Bust Collection 2 (Behind the Cameras: Evolution of the Stormtroopers)