Roland Quarry was a Jedi Master during the High Republic Era who trained Elzar Mann as their Padawan. Quarry would often refer to Mann and his close friends, fellow Padawans Avar Kriss and Stellan Gios, as the "three firebrands." Mann had great trust in Quarry. On at least one occasion, Quarry and Mann performed an act in which they used the Force to meld their minds and share each other's thoughts and memories. Mann recalled this and his trust in Quarry before attempting to perform the same act with Force-sensitive monster hunter Ty Yorrick many years later. Mann believed in Quarry's teachings and saw them as good and true even when Mann was later troubled with an unwanted dependence on using the dark side of the Force.
Behind the scenes
Roland Quarry was created for the Star Wars: The High Republic multimedia project. The character was first indirectly mentioned as Elzar Mann's master in a preview for the guidebook Star Wars: The Lightsaber Collection published on StarWars.com on September 23, 2020, prior to the book's release on October 20 that year. The character's surname was revealed in the 2021 novel The Rising Storm, written by Cavan Scott. Their first name was revealed in the 2022 novel The Fallen Star, written by Claudia Gray.
- The High Republic: The Rising Storm (Mentioned only) (First identified as Quarry, simultaneous with The High Republic: The Rising Storm audiobook)
- The High Republic: The Rising Storm audiobook (Mentioned only)
- The High Republic: The Fallen Star (Mentioned only) (First identified as Roland, simultaneous with The High Republic: The Fallen Star audiobook)
- The High Republic: The Fallen Star audiobook (Mentioned only)
- (First mentioned) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Lightsaber Collection (Indirect mention only)