"Roll of the Dice" is a short story by Karen Miller that appeared in Star Wars Insider 135. The story takes place immediately prior to the events of the novel X-Wing: Mercy Kill, which Miller was allowed to read prior to its release as reference for her story. Her idea for the story was approved by March 28, 2012, and Miller had half of the first draft written the next day. The story was submitted by April 11.
Myri Antilles is disguised as a purple-skinned humanoid while undercover aboard a vessel, run by a suspected criminal named Oobolo, for Galactic Alliance Security. However, when she runs into her father, Wedge, he informs her that Oobolo's people will figure out about what she's doing. That turns out to be the case after a while when an investigation aboard Oobolo's ship on his behalf forces Wedge and Myri to escape to lifepods. They make it off the ship, but Wedge's lifepod is crippled, forcing Myri to save his life even as Oobolo's vessel is trying to shoot them out of existence in the midst of a battle against a Galactic Alliance ship that has arrived for the Antilles members. Myri and Wedge make it aboard safe while Oobolo escapes, but the Galactic Alliance has a lead on him now. The story ends with Myri and Wedge celebrating in victory.
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
Organizations and titles
Vehicles and vessels
Weapons and technology
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Email from Karen Miller confirming timeline placement
- ↑ Karen Miller (March 26, 2012). "Wow!!!!" (Blog entry). LiveJournal. Retrieved on July 26, 2012.
- ↑ Karen Miller (March 28, 2012). Comment on "Wow!!!!" (Blog entry). LiveJournal. Retrieved on July 26, 2012.
- ↑ Karen Miller (March 29, 2012). "Star Wars fun – and other stuff" (Blog entry). LiveJournal. Retrieved on July 26, 2012.
- ↑ News on Karen Miller's website