- "Hey, yousa! Stopa dare!"
- ―Roos Tarpals
Roos Tarpals was a Gungan male who served in the Gungan Grand Army during the Invasion of Naboo and the Clone Wars. Prior to the Invasion of Naboo, he served as captain of a patrol in Otoh Gunga. After the Battle of Naboo, Tarpals was promoted to general. During the Clone Wars, he sacrificed himself to protect Naboo from being conquered by General Grievous.
The Trade Federation InvasionEdit
- "No’ again, Jar Jar. Yousa goin to da bosses. Yousa in big doo-doo dis time."
- ―Roos Tarpals to Jar Jar Binks
Roos Tarpals was a Gungan warrior who served in the Gungan Grand Army during the Invasion of Naboo. He was acquainted with Jar Jar Binks, who was banished from Otoh Gunga because of his "clumsiness." During the Trade Federation's invasion of Naboo, Binks returned with two Jedi emissaries—Master Qui-Gon Jinn and his Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi—who had come seeking help to get to the Naboo. Upon arriving, Tarpals and a colleague, who were riding kaadu, apprehended Binks. Tarpals warned Binks that he was in "big doo-doo" this time.
Tarpals brought Binks and the two Jedi visitors before Boss Nass, the ruler of Otoh Gunga. Master Jinn saved Binks from punishment by enlisting his services as a guide to bring them to Theed, the capital of Naboo. Boss Nass reluctantly granted Binks clemency and sent him away. Later, Tarpals was present when the Naboo Queen Padmé Amidala convinced the Gungans and Naboo to put aside their differences so that they could defeat the Trade Federation invaders. As a reward for his role in bringing the Gungans and Naboo together, Jar Jar Binks was promoted to the position of Bombad General in the Gungan Grand Army.
During the battle on the Grassy Plains, Tarpals served under the command of General Binks. Despite fighting bravely, the Grand Army was outnumbered and forced to retreat by the Trade Federation's droid army. During their chaotic retreat, Tarpals saved Binks from being killed by the battle droid commander of an AAT tank. Shortly thereafter, both Tarpals and Binks were captured by battle droids. However, the destruction of the orbiting Droid Control Ship disabled all of the battle droids, turning the tide of the battle in favor of the Gungans and their Naboo allies.
The Clone WarsEdit
Battle of Mon CalaEdit
During the Clone Wars, Roos Tarpals was present when the Jedi Master Yoda requested assistance from the Gungan Grand Army to aid Mon Calamari forces during the Battle of Mon Cala. A Gungan detachment led by the Gungan Representative Binks fought Separatist forces led by Riff Tamson alongside Clone SCUBA troopers, Mon Calamari, and Quarren forces.
- General Grievous: "How does it feel to die?"
- Tarpals: "Not die... sacrifice!"
- ―Roos Tarpals' final moments[src]
As the Clone Wars dragged on, tensions between the Gungans and the Naboo led the reigning Boss Lyonie to offer to aid the Confederacy of Independent Systems by sending the Gungan Grand Army to invade the Naboo capital of Theed. Unknown to everyone, Lyonie was being controlled through an amulet by Rish Loo, one of his ministers who was secretly working for the Separatist leader Count Dooku. Senator Amidala and the Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker managed to remove the amulet from Lyonie. However, Rish Loo sent a squad of BX droid commandos to attack them, and Lyonie was wounded during the assault. With Lyonie unable to call off the attack, Binks assumed the identity of Boss Lyonie in an attempt to call off the Separatist attack.
Tarpals accompanied Binks when the fake "Boss" climbed aboard the Separatist landing ship to help "coordinate the attack." While Binks distracted the Separatist commander General Grievous, Tarpals informed Amidala of the Separatist general's presence. When Grievous realized that Binks was an impostor, he pursued the Gungan outside the ship. Tarpals and several other Gungans surrounded the cyborg general and attacked him. Soon Tarpals and Grievous were fighting each other head to head. During the skirmish, Tarpals was mortally wounded but used the last of his strength to "shock" Grievous into submission. Despite his death, Tarpals helped to defeat a Separatist plot to divide the Gungans and Naboo. However, the Naboo and Gungans were forced to release General Grievous when Count Dooku captured and threatened Skywalker's life.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- The Phantom Menace Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Star Wars Journeys: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Gungan Attack"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow Warrior"
- Darth Vader 3 (Mural only)
- (First identified as Roos Tarpals)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 13 (Highlights of the Saga: The Battle for Naboo; Weapons & Uniforms: The Gungan Grand Army) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events "Prisoners" and "Crisis on Naboo" to 20 BBY. As the episode "Shadow Warrior" takes place between the two episodes according to , Roos Tarpals' death must take place in that year.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow Warrior"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Gungan Attack"