- "Eat, eat. Hot. Good food, hmm?"
- ―Yoda, while serving Luke Skywalker rootleaf stew
Rootleaf stew was a meal that the Jedi Master Yoda used to prepare during his years of self-imposed exile on Dagobah. It consisted of a mix of roots and swamp weed that was left to boil for ten minutes, and had a sour taste. Yoda notably prepared root-leaf stew the evening that he met Luke Skywalker, who would then become his Jedi apprentice. According to Skywalker, the stew had the consistency of boiled brains, and its smell reminded him of a garbage depot in the hot season on Tatooine. Nevertheless, it did not taste as bad as it looked. When Skywalker stayed with the Ewoks of Bright Tree Village on Endor, he was served a dish of rootleaf stew, which he found "not quite as bad" as the one prepared by Yoda. There was an Ortolan vendor aboard the Spur Orbiting Market that sold rootleaf stew when Beilert Valance and Cadeliah visited the market.
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi? (First identified as root-leaf stew)
- The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi? audiobook
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back junior novelization
- "Size Matters Not"—The Original Trilogy Stories
- Bounty Hunters 6
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side! (Mentioned only)
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side! audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Galaxy of Creatures – "Wampa"
- "The Whills Strike Back"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook