Roy Thomas (born November 22, 1940) is a comic book writer and editor. He wrote the comic adaptation for A New Hope, and was one of the first to contribute to the Expanded Universe as he wrote the subsequent stories in Marvel Star Wars comic series, but only stayed on for a total run of ten issues.
Thomas began in the comics industry in 1965 when he started working as an assistant editor at DC Comics. But he didn't last long at DC as just eight days later he accepted a job at Marvel Comics as writer and editor. In 1972 Thomas succeeded Stan Lee as editor-in-chief of Marvel while he continued to write many of Marvel's top titles at the time. He held the position until 1974. He was instrumental in bringing the Star Wars franchise to Marvel, which in turn almost single-handedly saved Marvel from bankruptcy.
He was a prolific writer for both Marvel and DC Comics, which he rejoined for some years in the 1980's. His most famous run includes The Avengers (1966-1972), Conan the Barbarian (1970-1980) and All-Stars Squadron (1981-1987). He is the co-creator of several beloved characters, like Wolverine, Iron Fist and Ghost Rider. He is also responsible for the creation of the Defenders team.
He currently lives in South Carolina, editing the comic book fanzine Alter Ego.
Star Wars bibliography
- Pizzazz 1 - 6: The Keeper's World
- Star Wars 0
- Star Wars (1977) 1
- Star Wars (1977) 2
- Star Wars (1977) 3
- Star Wars (1977) 4
- Star Wars (1977) 5
- Star Wars (1977) 6
- Star Wars (1977) 7
- Star Wars (1977) 8
- Star Wars (1977) 9
- Star Wars (1977) 10
- The Marvel Comics Illustrated Version of Star Wars
- Marvel Special Edition Featuring Star Wars 1
- Marvel Special Edition Featuring Star Wars 2
- Marvel Special Edition Featuring Star Wars 3
- Marvel Movie Showcase 1
- Marvel Movie Showcase 2
- Classic Star Wars: A New Hope 1
- Classic Star Wars: A New Hope 2
- Classic Star Wars: A New Hope (TPB)
- Classic Star Wars Box Set
- Star Wars: A Long Time Ago... Volume 1: Doomworld
- Star Wars: The Complete Vader
- "Authors of the Expanded Universe: Roy Thomas and Howard Chaykin"—Star Wars Insider 142
- "Blaster"—Star Wars Insider 152