Serving the New Mandalorian government, the Ruling Council, also known as the New Mandalorian ministry council, was a bureaucratic body within the government that was composed of a number of ministers, a Deputy Minister, and was chaired by the Prime Minister. The ministers included the Minister of Interior, the Minister of Finance, and at least four other ministers, which were charged with political and bureaucratic responsibilities. When gathered in a meeting, the Ruling Council met at the Sundari Royal Palace on Mandalore, and was overseen by Duchess Satine Kryze.
- "Esteemed colleagues, leaders of Mandalore, friends. I'm afraid our neutrality has caused our people to suffer. The war between the Separatists and the Republic rages across our galaxy. This caused trade routes to be closed to Mandalore, and has forced us to turn to a black market filled with corruption."
- ―Prime Minister Almec, to the Ruling Council
The Ruling Council was active during the Clone Wars, at which point Duchess Satine ruled over Mandalore with her New Mandalorian government. The Ruling Council was chaired by Prime Minister Almec, and Deputy Minister Jerec was of the Ruling Council as he was a minister until his death. After the New Mandalorians declared neutrality in the Clone Wars between the Galactic Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems, the government underwent an economic crisis, in which trade routes were no longer widely available and parts of the government had to turn to corruption and the black market for sustainability. It was during this time that Duchess Satine invited her friend Senator Padmé Amidala to Mandalore to ease tensions and help her investigate the corruption.
After Amidala's arrival, Amidala watched over a meeting of the Ruling Council, in which the ministers argued over the economic situation. When Senator Amidala joined the conversation and stated that the Galactic Republic could provide security, the ministers turned on her, as they stated that the Republic's corruption was far worse than Mandalore's. After this, Duchess Satine decided to adjourn the council and reconvene at a later time, so that tensions could settle down. After some time, an investigation conducted by Jedi Padawan Ahsoka Tano and students of the Royal Academy of Government resulted in the arrest of Prime Minister Almec for corruption.
Takeover of MandaloreEdit
- "Duchess Satine and the New Mandalorian leaders have fled in cowardice while the Death Watch brough these criminals to justice"
- ―Bo-Katan, to an audience of Mandalorians
After the Mandalorian terrorist organization known as Death Watch became a part of the Shadow Collective, the syndicate launched a plan to overthrow Duchess Satine. Members of the Black Sun and Pyke Syndicate attacked targets that were vital to Mandalore's security. The Minister of Interior reported it to Duchess Satine and another minister when the attacks first occurred, and also reported that the people demanded the government take action.
After some time, Death Watch captured the criminals and appeared to restore order on Mandalore, although it was part of the Shadow Collective's plan all along. This moved the people to support Death Watch and its leader, Pre Vizsla rather than Duchess Satine's New Mandalorian government which allowed Vizsla to takeover Mandalore. The Minister of Interior and the other minister were with the Duchess at the palace when Vizsla and the Death Watch stormed the building and arrested the Duchess.
- "Where are the other leaders of your people?"
"You should know already. They've either sided with Vizsla, or have been killed. There's no one left now but Almec and I, but he's as corrupt and vile as you."
- ―Maul, and Duchess Satine
After the takeover of Mandalore, Duchess Satine was imprisoned by Death Watch in a cell next to Almec. It was at this time that Pre Vizsla betrayed Maul and his Sith apprentice Savage Opress, although they soon managed to escape. Touring the royal prison, Maul and Opress came upon Duchess Satine's cell, and when Maul asked her where the other leaders of her government were, she revealed that they were either killed or had defected to Death Watch. Maul recruited Almec to his side and killed Pre Vizsla in a lightsaber duel. After claiming Vizsla's darksaber and his place as leader of Death Watch, the Mandalorian group splintered into separate factions, which ultimately led to the Mandalorian civil war.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Corruption" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason" (Indirect mention only)
- (First identified as New Mandalorian ministry council)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Corruption"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duchess of Mandalore"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the events of the Takeover of Mandalore at 19 BBY. Since the Ruling Council fragmented during the event, it must have fragmented in 19 BBY as well.
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Academy"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"