Rycus Kilran was a Human male who served as Grand Moff of the Sith Empire during the Cold War and the Galactic War. He was best known for his role during the Sacking of Coruscant, which earned him the nickname of the "Butcher of Coruscant," and as the pacifier of the Togruta Uprising.
- "I'm told you disobeyed a direct order from Grand Moff Kilran."
- ―Unidentified Imperial spacer to Captain Revinal Orzik of the Black Talon
Born on Dromund Kaas to a wealthy family with a proud military tradition, Kilran grew into a creative strategist and military leader. He proved himself, to no one's surprise, a capable right-hand man to the Sith during the Empire's early assaults on the Brema sector. When his Sith superior died during the Battle of Ord Ibanna, who Rycus was serving as tactical advisor—he assumed command of the ragged Imperial fleet and led them to a swift and decisive victory.
In the years that followed, Kilran's authority grew with his list of triumphs, and both the Sith and the Minister of War learned respect for his unorthodox strategies. His brutally effective strikes during the final days of the war, as well as his tactics during the Sacking of Coruscant, earned the Captain the nickname "the Butcher of Coruscant" among Republic civilians, a name he adopted with characteristic irony. His heroic stand against a Jedi boarding party earned him his scars. After the war ended, he was granted the honorary title Grand Moff in recognition of his contributions.
After the time of the Great Galactic War, Kilran ordered Revinal Orzik, captain of the Black Talon, to intercept a Republic warship, the Brentaal Star, and eliminate the wanted passenger, a renegade Imperial general. When Captain Orzik refused to carry on what he saw as a suicide mission, Kilran sent a small team of operatives to take care of the situation, even while dealing with a Republic boarding party sent against him from a small vessel, the Esseles.[source?]
Defeat at the Maelstrom
- "I don't deserve this...there was so much left to conquer..."
- ―Kilran is defeated by the Republic strike team
Towards the end of the Cold War, Kilran was charged with maintaining the prison within the Maelstrom where the Sith Emperor had held a powerful prisoner - the Jedi Master Revan - for three hundred years. He was confronted by the same Republic strike team from the Esseles, now dispatched by Master Oteg. The team had obtained a Gree computer to navigate the Maelstrom from the Imperial base on Taral V, despite Kilran's efforts to bombard the planet before they could successfully escape.
Impressed and infuriated by the persistence of the Republic team, Kilran personally boarded the prison and informed Darth Malgus - who was watching from a nearby holoterminal - that he would put the intruders out of their misery. Malgus ordered him to focus solely on preserving the prisoner, but Kilran elected to attack anyway, believing he could deal with the problem. In the end, however, he proved unable to withstand the assault as the Republic forces struck him down in the prison's core, putting an end to the Butcher of Coruscant.
Personality and traits
Apart from being the most cunning strategist the Empire has to offer, he has been described as both charismatic and an intellectual genius. He is also very patriotic towards the Empire and would no doubt fight to the bitter end for it. He also had a strong sense of pride; when he was faced with the team of individuals who had repeatedly humiliated him he was willing to disobey Darth Malgus and try to kill them rather than securing Revan like he was ordered to. He was also a great lover of fine wines.
Behind the scenes
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Starfighter (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Strongholds (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Old Republic's base game content about ten to twelve years after the signing of the Treaty of Coruscant, which is dated to 3653 BBY by Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia. The Prologue and Act I of the class storylines are assumed to take place in 3643 BBY, as they are roughly concurrent to each other and the Jedi Knight Act I storyline is dated to 3643 BBY by The Old Republic—The Lost Suns 2. Additionally, and Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia establish that the Battle of Ilum and the end of Act III for the class stories occur in 3640 BBY. Additionally, Act II for all classes, while featuring conflict between the two factions, occurs prior to the official collapse of the Treaty of Coruscant, which The Old Republic: Annihilation places in the middle of 3641 BBY. Taken together, this means that base game content spans from 3643 BBY to 3640 BBY, and the class storylines extend over this period, this article assumes that Act II takes place within 3642 BBY and the first half of 3641 BBY. As the Revan Flashpoints are integral to the collapse of the Treaty, this article assumes that they occurred in 3641 BBY. places
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Flashpoint: "Maelstrom Prison"
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex: "Grand Moff Regus"