- "A Wookiee warrior without a ryyk blade is a webweaver without fangs."
- ―Traditional Wookiee maxim
The design of these weapons varied greatly between individuals since all ryyk blades were handcrafted. Generally, the blade was a broad, curved design and the handle was wrapped in leather. Ryyk blades were considered an extension of the wielder, much like the Wookiee relationship with their bowcasters. The average weight of a ryyk was around fifteen kilograms,[source?] but Wookiees could wield them with surprising speed and grace. Wookiees would sometimes wield two blades at the same time in a graceful and deadly two-weapon fighting style. Because of its exotic design and craftsmanship, a user required training to wield a Ryyk blade proficiently.
For a non-Wookiee to use the ryyk without earning the right to do so was an insult to most Wookiees. A non-Wookiee would be advised to be able to understand Shyriiwook and provide a good explanation why they were using the weapon. Trandoshan slavers would carry ryyk blades from captured Wookiees just to mock them.
The blade was first developed when the Wookiees were still technologically primitive; they were used for clearing paths through the thick forests of Kashyyyk and fending off vicious predators and other attacking animals. They were also used for hunting, and if necessary, combat.
Ryyk blades were used heavily by Trandoshan slavers during the Clone Wars and by Wookiee Berserkers during the Galactic Civil War. Aurra Sing, a bounty hunter, used the weapon. Wookiees armed with ryyk blades came to the defense of Princess Leia Organa Solo while she was pregnant on Kashyyyk to protect her from Grand Admiral Thrawn's Noghri Death Commandos.
Behind the scenesEdit
In the Agents of Chaos Duology, the blades are misspelled as "ryyyk" blades.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
- From the Trees (Mentioned only)
- MedStar I: Battle Surgeons
- "What They Called Me"—Star Wars Tales 5
- What They Called Me"—Star Wars Gamer 4 "
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed game
- Shadow Games
- Beyond the Rim
- Star Wars Galaxies: Rage of the Wookiees
- Rebel Force: Hostage
- Star Wars Adventures: Chewbacca and the Slavers of the Shadowlands (Appears in flashback(s))
- Heir to the Empire (First appearance)
- Dark Force Rising
- Tyrant's Test (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial (Mentioned only)
- Legacy of the Force: Inferno
- Legacy of the Force: Invincible (Mentioned only)
- Heir to the Empire Sourcebook (as ryyyk blade)
- Alliance Intelligence Reports
- The Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- Secrets of Kashyyyk"—Star Wars Gamer 4 "
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 71 (RYY1-4, Ryyk Blades)
- Arms & Equipment Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided Quick Reference Guide
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Dangerous Covenants
- Star Wars: Imperial Assault – Wookiee Warriors Ally Pack
- Star Wars: Imperial Assault – Jabba's Realm (Card: Ryyk Blades)
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – The Nightsister's Revenge (Card: Ryyk Blade)