- "There's assassin probes down here!"
- ―Anakin Skywalker
The SD-K4 assassin droid, also known as the assassin probe, or the assassin probe droid, was a model of assassin droid manufactured by the Techno Union. Used by the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars, it was also referred to as the Separatist assassin probe and Separatist assassin droid.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
A fourth class droid, the SD-K4 assassin droid was designed to assassinate targets with high efficiency. Spider-like droids programmed for quiet killing, assassin probes moved quietly on eight razored legs they could use to lurk silently in for the kill. They were equipped with multiple red photoreceptors for scanning their surroundings. If cornered or destroyed, an SD-K4 could release thirty smaller probe killers from pores on its head to finish any job the assassin probe started.
History[edit | edit source]
Manufactured by the Techno Union, SD-K4 assassin droids were used by the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars. As the Galactic Republic's highest echelons began disappearing, it suspected the use of assassin probes. In the year 21 BBY, Tal Merrik, senator of Kalevala and a secret Death Watch sympathizer, smuggled three SD-K4s aboard the spaceliner Coronet to assassinate Satine Kryze, duchess of Mandalore. However, the trio and their probe killers were destroyed before they could eliminate their target, though not before killing several of her clone trooper security detail.
After the Clone Wars, the Techno Union was absorbed by the Galactic Empire, who used their assassin probes during the Galactic Civil War. The Rebel Alliance also modified some for combat and provided them to Saponza's Gang.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Force Arena
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voyage of Temptation" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Commander (First identified as SD-K4 assassin droid)
- Aftermath: Life Debt
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Separatist assassin probe)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Collapse of the Republic (First identified as assassin probe droid)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- According to Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia, assassin droids are classified as fourth class droids.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voyage of Temptation"
- Collapse of the Republic
- Star Wars: Commander
- Ultimate Star Wars
- CM Simon (2017-09-27). 09/28 Update Details. Retrieved on November 4, 2017. "As the highest echelons of the Galactic Republic started to disappear, the Galactic Republic began to suspect the use of the Separatist Assassin Droids. The droid, made by the Techno Union, is designed to assassinate targets with high efficiency. This big-spider like drone moves quietly, and can attack its targets with its 8 sharp legs. If there is a need to deploy them, its small probe killers will finish any job the assassin droid started." (backup link not available)
- (Slide 8)
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Uprising