Saché was a female human who served as one of the handmaidens of Amidala, Queen of Naboo. During the Invasion of Naboo, Saché and Yané remained behind as her sovereign and the other handmaidens fled Naboo with Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn and his Padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi. Whilst she remained on Naboo, Saché carried messages for a resistance group until she was caught by droids and subject to interrogation by the Trade Federation, which resulted in a large collection of scars around her neck, body and arms. During the interrogation, Saché saved the lives of members of the Royal Naboo Security Forces by refusing to name them. She later attended the funeral ceremony of Jinn. The Royal Security Forces repaid Saché's bravery with loyalty second only to Amidala and after she announced her intention to run for a seat in the planetary legislative assembly, it was done with their full support. In 28 BBY, the same year Amidala's term as queen ended, Saché was accepted into the assembly.
Personality and traitsEdit
Behind the scenesEdit
- "I asked George if I could come and watch the shoot, and he asked if I wanted to be in the royal entourage. (...) I'm at the back with a hood on and you can't really see me. I don't even remember what my character was called."
- ―Sofia Coppola, about her role as Saché
Saché was portrayed by Sofia Coppola in the 1999 film Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, the first installment of the Star Wars prequel trilogy. Coppola considers director George Lucas, a long-time friend and working partner of her father Francis Ford Coppola, "like an uncle to me—he used to send me and my brother Roman Star Wars toys when we were little," and upon hearing he was going back to the saga, "thought it’d be so fun to see how they make them" as she was preparing her own directorial debut The Virgin Suicides, released that same year. When she asked Lucas if she could attend the shoot, he offered her the role of Saché, and she accepted as "it seemed like a good vantage point to watch without getting in the way."
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition