Saché, born Sashah Adova, was a female human who served as one of the handmaidens of Amidala, Queen of Naboo. During the Invasion of Naboo, Saché and Yané remained behind as her sovereign and the other handmaidens fled Naboo with Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn and his Padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi. Whilst she remained on Naboo, Saché carried messages for a resistance group until she was caught by droids and subject to interrogation by the Trade Federation, which resulted in a large collection of scars around her neck, body and arms. During the interrogation, Saché saved the lives of members of the Royal Naboo Security Forces by refusing to name them.
The Royal Security Forces repaid Saché's bravery with loyalty second only to Amidala and, after she announced her intention to run for a seat in the planetary legislative assembly, it was done with their full support. In 28 BBY, the same year Amidala's term as queen ended, Saché was accepted into the assembly.
Saché became an infuential member of Queen Réillata's government and, when Governor Sio Bibble finally retired following Amidala's death in 19 BBY, Saché was the favourite to succeed him. However, under self-proclaimed Galactic Emperor Sheev Palpatine's decree, the election was suspended and a new position was created to oversee the daily operations of the Naboo government, a position granted to former Captain Quarsh Panaka, the man who trained Amidala, Saché and the handmaidens for their security arrangement.
Sashah Adova, a human female, was born on the planet Naboo in the year 44 BBY. When she was twelve years old in 32 BBY, she was recruited by Captain Quarsh Panaka of the Royal Naboo Security Forces to serve as one of the handmaidens for newly-elected Queen Padmé Amidala. Along with Rabene Tonsort, Eirtama Ballory, and Suyan Higin, Adova was introduced to Amidala at the end of her second week on the throne. Panaka introduced Adova last, unsure how to explain his reasoning that the girl, who was younger than the Queen and all the other candidates, was qualified. Amidala subsequently brought the girls to her apartment in the Theed Royal Palace to speak with them privately, alongside her first handmaiden Tsabin.
There, Amidala and her new handmaidens discussed the details of their new positions, and what Amidala hoped for from them. Adova explained to Amidala that Panaka thought the girls would work for him directly as an extension of the Royal Security Forces, not understanding the Queen's wishes, and that he had something on Tonsort — her past as an art forger — that he thought he could use to control her. After further discussion, Adova suggested that the girls could be Amidala's shadow. Tonsort, noting her slight notoriety, suggested that the handmaidens all take new names that matched Amidala's given one, as well. When Ballory was hesitant, Adova noted that if she had wanted to become famous under her real name, the position of handmaiden was not for her, which led Ballory to acquiesce to the idea. Adova, noting her position as the youngest of the handmaidens and the least likely to be called on as Amidala's stand-in, volunteered to be the Queen's page. When Tonsort suggested that the disguised Amidala should also be a page, Adova also volunteered to help ease a reluctant Panaka into the idea. When it came time to pick her new name, she dubbed herself Saché.
Invasion of NabooEdit
Early in Amidala's reign, Naboo was invaded by the Trade Federation. Amidala and Tsabin, now known as Sabé, switched places as the invasion forces closed in on Theed. Saché did the elder handmaiden's hair as part of the deception. When Amidala, her handmaidens and her guards were rescued from the battle droids that had captured them by the Jedi Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi, Saché and Higin — now Yané — stayed behind on Naboo with elements of the Royal Security Forces that led a resistance against the occupation as Amidala and company escaped to Coruscant to rally assistance.
During the occupation, Saché carried messages for the resistance. She was eventually captured by the droid forces and tortured for information, but she held out and refused to name any Royal Security Forces members, such as Mariek Panaka. Amidala eventually returned to Naboo with the Jedi, upon which Saché and Yané were reunited with her and the other handmaidens. The regrouped royal party travelled to the swamps to enlist the aid of the Gungans in driving the Trade Federation out.
Personality and traitsEdit
Saché was a human female native from Naboo. She had brown hair, brown eyes and fair skin. As a result of her torture at the hands of the Trade Federation occupying forces after her capture, her body was covered with scars that she usually concealed under clothing.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "I asked George if I could come and watch the shoot, and he asked if I wanted to be in the royal entourage. (...) I'm at the back with a hood on and you can't really see me. I don't even remember what my character was called."
- ―Sofia Coppola, about her role as Saché
Saché was portrayed by Sofia Coppola in the 1999 film Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, the first installment of the Star Wars prequel trilogy. Coppola considers director George Lucas, a long-time friend and working partner of her father Francis Ford Coppola, "like an uncle to me—he used to send me and my brother Roman Star Wars toys when we were little," and upon hearing he was going back to the saga, "thought it'd be so fun to see how they make them" as she was preparing her own directorial debut The Virgin Suicides, released that same year. When she asked Lucas if she could attend the shoot, he offered her the role of Saché, and she accepted as "it seemed like a good vantage point to watch without getting in the way."
- Queen's Peril (First identified as Sashah Adova)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Queen's Shadow
- Queen's Shadow audiobook
- Darth Vader 4
- Darth Vader 5
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Queen's Peril states that Saché was twelve years old when she served as Queen Padmé Amidala's handmaiden. The events of Queen's Peril take place shortly before and concurrently to the events of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 32 BBY. Therefore Saché must have born sometime around 44 BBY.
- ↑ Queen's Peril establishes that Saché was five centimeters shorter than Padmé Amidala. As establishes Amidala's height as being 1.65 meters, it can be deduced that Saché's height was 1.6 meters.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 Queen's Shadow
- ↑ Darth Vader 4
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Queen's Peril
- ↑ Sofia Coppola: Film By Film: From The Godfather Part III to The Bling Ring (Page 8). Empire. Archived from the original on December 6, 2018. Retrieved on May 13, 2014.