- "The beast is a sando aqua monster, the apex predator of Naboo's core."
Sando aqua monsters were enormous, muscular predators that could be found in the oceans and lakes of Naboo. Although they could grow up to 200 meters, they were rarely seen. Thanks to their sharp teeth, they were capable of biting through the strong armor of the opee sea killers.
Biology and appearance
- "There's always a bigger fish."
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn
Measuring between 160 and 200 meters in length, the sando aqua monsters owed their name to their gigantic size. Despite that, they managed to hide in their native oceanic depths. Sandos had heavily muscled bodies that looked almost feline, with strong limbs ending in finned claws that propelled them through the depths. Their front legs ended in hands that could be used to grasp prey.
Their huge mouths allowed them to swallow most other creatures of the Abyss in a single gulp. Using their razor-sharp teeth, they were also the only predators capable of biting through the hard shells of the opee sea killers.
Their life-spans typically reached one hundred standard years. However, a sando aqua monster killed by Darth Vader was estimated to be approximately 932 standard years old. According to ZED-6-7, their life cycles were glacially slow and their population was incredibly small. Therefore, the murder of one creature astronomically increased the chances of the species eventual extinction.
- "And how do you usually handle this type of attack?"
"We've never had to. These creatures don't normally come near land."
- ―Padmé Amidala and a Naboo guard, on sando aqua monsters
- "Congratulations, Lord Vader. You are now the first on record to have killed a sando aqua monster. Biological samples indicate the creature was male and approximately 932 years old. Given the tiny population and glacially slow cycle life of the species, this increases its chances of extinction within a century to 83 percent."
- ―ZED-6-7, to Darth Vader
The sando aqua monsters hailed from Naboo, a Mid Rim planet whose core comprised a network of underwater tunnels. Although the Gungans, the sentient amphibians native to Naboo, rarely encountered living specimens, there were reports of washed-up sando corpses on beaches. For most inhabitants of Naboo, the sando aqua monster was more of a terrifying myth than a reality.
At some point during the reign of Queen Padmé Amidala, two poachers captured a baby sando aqua monster and hid it in the royal boathouse, prompting its mother to lay siege to the building. The Queen herself intervened, setting the young creature free so it could swim away with its genitrix.
Shortly after the duel on Cloud City, Darth Vader visited Naboo with Sabé in order to track down security footage from Padmé's Coruscant apartment, which would lead him to the people who hid his son's birth from him. In reality, this venture turned out to be a trap set by the Amidalans: a group of rebels who believed Vader was responsible for Padmé's death, as well as the Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker. After bringing Vader below the surface, they used a device to summon a sando aqua monster to devour him. However, Vader killed the beast, becoming the first person on record to kill one. ZED-6-7, a forensics droid, calculated that the creature's death increased the odds of the species' extinction by eighty-three percent due to its small population and glacially slow cycle.
Sando aqua monsters in the galaxy
- William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
- Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
- (First identified as sando aqua monster)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 41 (Guide to the Galaxy: Naboo's Underwater World)
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Star Wars: Smuggler's Guide
- Star Wars: How Not to Get Eaten by Ewoks and Other Galactic Survival Skills
- Star Wars: Creatures Big & Small
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars: The Galactic Explorer's Guide
- "Naboo" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- (Picture only)