Sand Worms or sandworms were rare creatures that lived deep in their burrowed holes in the desert sands of Tatooine. They traveled very fast underground and were hard to catch in a fight, and were a favorite food of the Krayt dragon.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Tatooine sand worm first appeared as an enemy in 1992 Super Star Wars video game and was also featured in the Super Star Wars Official Game Secrets guide released next year. Depicted as a long, burrowing snake-like creature with pink skin and green eyes, the sand worm received little further mentions, like most original elements from that game.
The 2011 MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic later featured a single creature named "Ancient Sand Worm" in the Dune Sea of Tatooine. This Sand Worm is depicted as a tall, eyeless insectoid-looking creature, and in fact uses the same in-game model as much smaller killik larvae. 2016 expansion Knights of the Eternal Throne featured this version of Sand Worms more prominently in the "Done and Dusted" uprising, clearly using the name "Sand Worm" for the creatures, as well as related achievement and in-game housing decoration.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Strongholds (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Eternal Throne
- When the Desert Wind Turns: The Stormtrooper's Tale (Mentioned only)
- "Sandbound on Tatooine"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 10 (Mentioned only)
- Super Star Wars