- "Droid re-enforcements have just arrived. We shall break into three groups to divide their defenses. I'll take the left flank. Skywalker, attack the front gate, Ahsoka, you scale the back wall, we'll meet in the middle."
- ―Plo Koon
The Second Battle of Felucia occurred in 21 BBY during the Clone Wars, when forces from the Galactic Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems clashed over control of the planet Felucia. Having been forced into a retreat at the previous First Battle of Felucia, the Republic re-established a presence there thanks to the efforts of Jedi General Anakin Skywalker and his Padawan, Commander Ahsoka Tano, who led their clone troopers from the Grand Army of the Republic on an offensive into Separatist-held territory. In retaliation, General Grievous supplied one of his outposts on Felucia with reinforcements from the Separatist Droid Army to secure the system for the Confederacy. Responding to the arrival of the battle droid detachment, Skywalker, Tano, and Jedi Master Plo Koon targeted the enemy outpost with a three-pronged assault, each leading a squad of troopers to divide the Separatist defenses.
Supported by heavy artillery tanks situated on an adjacent ridge, the Jedi and clones were able to secure the base from T-series tactical droid TZ-33, eliminating all of the droid forces there. However, Tano was captured during the fighting by a group of Trandoshan hunters, who brought her to the moon Wasskah to be hunted for sport. Skywalker and Koon withdrew from Felucia the following day.
- "The setback at Felucia has affected our efforts in the whole sector. It'll take weeks before we can…"
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi, following the First Battle of Felucia
During the Clone Wars, the Galactic Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems fought to claim the planet Felucia, which was valued for its close proximity to the hyperlane known as the Perlemian Trade Route. In 22 BBY, the first year of the war, Jedi Generals Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker of the Jedi Order and the latter's Padawan, Commander Ahsoka Tano, defended Felucia from a Separatist assault headed by the Confederate General Grievous, but their forces were overwhelmed and forced to retreat with the aid of Jedi Master Plo Koon. The Republic's defeat at the First Battle of Felucia impeded the Grand Army of the Republic's efforts in the entire Thanium sector, and the Separatist Droid Army installed several outposts on Felucia. The Confederacy's control over the world also enabled a Confederate Navy fleet to destroy a Republic medical station in orbit.
Despite becoming a Separatist stronghold, Felucia remained a contested site for much of the war, with its native Felucian farmers attempting to stay out of the conflict. In 21 BBY, the Republic was able to re-establish a presence on Felucia when Skywalker and Tano returned with a clone trooper detachment from the Grand Army, mounting a ground campaign against Grievous's forces.
- "Form up for counter attack. Lower the gate."
- ―TZ-33, responding to the Republic's artillery offensive
Leading a division of clone troopers and All Terrain Tactical Enforcers, Skywalker, Tano, and Clone Captain CT-7567, nicknamed "Rex," advanced into Separatist-held territory on Felucia. The Confederacy deployed numerous squads of battle droids, comprising B1-Series battle droids and DSD1 dwarf spider droids, to halt the Jedi and clones, who engaged the droids along their path through the dense foliage. Skywalker, Tano, Captain Rex, and their men held their position, pressing deeper into Confederate territory. As the clone tank division battled on into the night, Jedi General Plo Koon arrived aboard his Delta-7B interceptor with an escort of two V-19 Torrent starfighters, rendezvousing with Skywalker and Tano along with his clone commander—CC-3636, nicknamed "Wolffe"—and their troops from the 104th Battalion's Wolfpack. With Confederate control of the Felucia system in jeopardy, General Grievous dispatched droid reinforcements aboard a C-9979 landing craft to one of his outposts on Felucia, which was being overseen by the T-series tactical droid TZ-33. Learning of Grievous's reinforcements, the Republic forces resolved to cut off the Separatist detachment at the source.
Koon, Skywalker, Tano, and their men proceeded to TZ-33's outpost, which had been constructed from a mobile command center. Skywalker brought along several Felucians as scouts, having become acquainted with them during a previous trip to Felucia. The Republic forces covertly secured a ridge overlooking the base, where they positioned two AT-TE walkers and a Juggernaut tank. The Separatist landing craft soon arrived, unloading its B1 battle droids and BX-series droid commandos to augment TZ-33's troops. Observing the droids from their vantage point, Koon devised a plan to divide the enemy defenses: while he scaled the base's left side, Skywalker would assault the front gate, and Tano would lead a squad over the rear wall. All three Jedi-led teams would then close in on the command center. With their strategy in place, the Jedi officers moved into place, being careful not to alert the Separatists to their presence. Utilizing a trail charted by their Felucian scouts, Skywalker, Rex, and their squad reached the path leading to the front gate, while Koon and Wolffe stopped with their Wolfpack troops in front of the left flank. Tano was also given a small detail from the Wolfpack, including Clone Corporal Comet, Clone Sergeant Sinker, and trooper Boost.
After Skywalker and Tano reported via comlink that their men were in position, Koon ordered the AT-TE walkers on the ridge to fire upon the outpost, just as TZ-33's forces detected the tanks via scanning. The clone tank gunners rained down long-range artillery fire, baiting TZ-33 into marshaling a counteroffensive. Once TZ-33's frontal flank of B1 battle droids and dwarf spider droids marched out the front gate, Skywalker activated his lightsaber and began his attack, cutting through the droids alongside his men. Meanwhile, Koon jumped over the left wall with the aid of the Force, with Wolffe and their soldiers following with their JT-12 jetpacks. While Koon and Wolffe engaged droids at their position, Tano had Sinker and Comet shoot down the rear wall's two droid guards, allowing their team to grapple over the barrier. Before Tano could join them, she was incapacitated via stun net by the Trandoshan hunter Lo-Taren, who captured her so that she could be subjected to a ritualistic Trandoshan hunt. Pressing through the battle droids, dwarf spider droids, and droid commandos defending the base's interior, Skywalker, Koon, and their men converged on the command center alongside Tano's squad. Skywalker jumped onto the command deck and destroyed TZ-33, securing the Republic's control over the outpost.
- "The outpost is secure. Good job, Corporal. Where's Commander Tano?"
"She was covering our flank when we scaled the wall."
"Everybody fan out. I want a perimeter sweep now."
- ―Anakin Skywalker and Comet
With the fall of TZ-33's base, the Second Battle of Felucia, as it came to be known, resulted in a victory for the Republic. After receiving a report from Comet and realizing that Tano was missing, Skywalker dispatched several squads of troopers to sweep the perimeter of the outpost. Yet the Republic forces were too late to prevent Tano from being transported off-world by the Trandoshans. She was taken to the Trandoshan moon of Wasskah, where she was deposited on an island site to be hunted for sport alongside other prisoners. Although Skywalker was unable to locate his missing Padawan on Felucia, Koon ensured that every Grand Army detachment in the Outer Rim Territories, as well as all Republic agents within the Confederacy itself, were notified of Tano's disappearance. The morning after the battle, Koon and Skywalker received orders to recall their forces from Felucia, and they left aboard a convoy of LAAT/i gunships. Returning to the Jedi Temple on the galactic capital of Coruscant, Skywalker continued to conduct searches for Tano, who was later rescued from Wasskah by a group of Wookiee warriors. Jedi involved in the Second Battle of Felucia documented their experiences in a collection of datafiles later published as the Jedi Battle Logs.
Although the Second Battle of Felucia marked a victory for the Republic, Felucia continued to be a key battlefield in the ongoing war, with the Separatist-allied Commerce Guild establishing a heavy presence on the world. In 19 BBY, the war's final year, Jedi General Aayla Secura led a detachment from the Republic's 327th Star Corps to secure Felucia from the Confederacy as part of the Outer Rim Sieges.
Behind the scenes
- "Located near a major hyperspace lane, the planet Felucia is caught in an unending battle between Republic and Separatist forces."
- ―Newsreel for "Padawan Lost"
The Second Battle of Felucia was featured in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and first appeared in the episode "Padawan Lost," which aired on April 1, 2011 as the finale for the series' third season. The episode's opening Newsreel stated that the battle was "unending," implying that it was a continuation of the First Battle of Felucia, which was featured in the earlier second season episode "Holocron Heist." Felucia's entry in the StarWars.com Encyclopedia later confirmed that the two engagements were separate. The entry also verified that the battle from "Padawan Lost" occurred after the First Battle of Felucia, with that chronology being repeated in the publication Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded. The new edition of The Ultimate Visual Guide also placed the battle within the overall timeline of the series, as established by Holocron continuity database manager Leland Chee.
"Padawan Lost" originally provided the engagement with the "Battle of Felucia" name, which was further specified to the "Second Battle of Felucia" in the first issue of a remake of The Official Star Wars Fact File.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Padawan Lost" (First appearance) (As Battle of Felucia)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Wookiee Hunt" (In flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 66 (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 67 (Indirect mention only)
- (no longer available)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Complete Season Three
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Annual 2012
- Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures (Collection: Jedi Battle Logs Vol 2)
- Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures – "Card Assault" (Card: Blaster Deflection) (Picture only)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File (2013) Part 1 (FEL1–2, Felucia) (First identified as Second Battle of Felucia)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File (2014) Part 1 (FEL1–2, Felucia)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 23 (PLO6, Clone Wars Ace Pilot)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 25 (GUN2, The Low-Altitude Assault Transport)
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded
- The New Essential Chronology
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Padawan Lost"
- The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 45 (20 BBY 15–18, The Citadel) dates "Citadel Rescue" to 21 BBY, while The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 13 (CHE1–2, Chewbacca) dates "Wookiee Hunt" to 21 BBY. Since places "Padawan Lost" between those two episodes, it can be concluded that "Padawan Lost" also takes place in 21 BBY.
- The Essential Atlas
- The Essential Reader's Companion dates the Star Wars: The Clone Wars film to 22 BBY, while The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 8 (22 BBY 101–102, Spying for the Senate) dates "Senate Spy" to late 22 BBY. Since places "Holocron Heist" between The Clone Wars film and "Senate Spy," it can be concluded that "Holocron Heist" also takes place in 22 BBY.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Holocron Heist"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bounty Hunters"
- Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures – "Galactic Forces"
- The Official Star Wars Fact File (2013) Part 1 (FEL1–2, Felucia)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Wookiee Hunt"
- Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures (Collection: Jedi Battle Logs Vol 2)
- Reversal of Fortune
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith