- "What I worry about is the way this war seems to be drawing out with no end in sight."
"Which it is why it is crucial that our invasion of Geonosis meets with success."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi and Ki-Adi-Mundi
- "This investment by the Banking Clan will create unimaginable new war profits. The largest droid factory ever built."
"As long as the Republic doesn't find out."
- ―Rush Clovis and Lott Dod conspire on investing in Poggle the Lesser's primary droid foundry
The Jedi Council suspected Scipio/Banking Clan Senator Rush Clovis was conspiring with the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Thus, they asked Senator Padmé Amidala to spy on Clovis, but she refused. However, she accepted the assignment when her secret husband, Anakin Skywalker, convinced her to do this mission.
Amidala was able to convince Clovis to let her accompany him on a trip to Cato Neimoidia to speak with the Neimoidians. After arriving there, Amidala discovered that Clovis was working with Senator Lott Dod and Archduke Poggle the Lesser in building the biggest droid factory that would give them great profits. Poggle and Dod insisted they should get a greater share of the profits, but Clovis refused. Poggle and Dod then decided to poison Amidala to get Clovis to change the deal. Amidala then stole the hologram disc of the factory before succumbing to the effects of the poison. Skywalker, disguised as her pilot, was able to get the disc and save Amidala when Clovis gave her the antidote. However, Skywalker left him behind without the disc.
Following the Battle near Dorin, the Republic sent Jedi Generals Ki-Adi-Mundi, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Luminara Unduli, and Anakin Skywalker to take Geonosis with a massive invasion. The Jedi Generals then spoke with the Outer Rim Command about their plans for the coming battle. They would attack the shield generator protecting the factory with three-prong assault hoping to capture Poggle who holed up at the factory. Despite Chancellor Sheev Palpatine's concerns, Jedi Masters Yoda and Mace Windu gave the go ahead for the attack.
Landing at Point RainEdit
- "We've got no air cover. Two generals on the ground beyond our position. And a mess of bugs surrounding us. The enemy was more than prepared for our attack, sir. They knew our every move."
"Well, I'm sure General Skywalker and General Mundi will make it to our position. We just have to make sure we're still here when they arrive."
- ―Cody and Obi-Wan Kenobi
As they made their descent, Kenobi's and Commander Cody's force then boarded their gunships and flew to secure the rendezvous point. However, the gunships came under heavy fire from the Geonosians and their defenses. Mundi and Commander Jet forces then followed him. However, Mundi and Jet were forced to land their AT-TEs away from rendezvous. Skywalker's, Commander Ahsoka Tano's, and Captain Rex's gunships were shot down and all their AT-TEs were destroyed. Despite that, Skywalker, his team, and the rest of his forces continued towards to the rendezvous point. Mundi's gunship was shot down and Mundi was wounded. Commander Cody was able to land his AT-TEs, but the landing area came under fire from the Geonosians and their AATs. Kenobi's gunship was then hit and crash landed away from the landing zone. Only Kenobi and clone trooper Trapper survived the crash, but the two were eventually rescued by clone troopers Waxer and Boil after the gunship was spotted by the clones. Kenobi and Trapper were brought to point rain, and AT-TE 636 gave covering fire for the group. Kenobi, Cody and their troopers then held the rendezvous awaiting Skywalker's and Mundi's forces.
As Mundi's forces made their way through the Caltrop field to the rendezvous point, Jet contacted Admiral Wullf Yularen for air support. The Admiral however, could not divert any air support with risks to other units. Despite that, Yularen gathered a squadron and put it in reserve. Jet then left a squad with the AT-TEs and went Mundi and his clone flametroopers to the rendezvous. They went into a cave that Mundi believed would be the quickest way to the rendezvous point. In the cave, they were then attacked by Geonosians, but were able to fight their way to the end the cavern.
Skywalker's forces then made their way to the rendezvous point against the Geonosians and their gun emplacements. Skywalker and his force then came to a fortress that blocked their path. Skywalker and Tano then scaled the wall. They were able to destroy the battle droids, but they were then confronted by Droidekas. Skywalker and Tano were able to defeat the droidekas with Rex's help. They then planted explosives inside the wall and way was cleared. Skywalker's forces were then able to meet up with Mundi's forces. Skywalker then contacted Yularen for air support. Yularen was able to provide a squadron of bombers.
As Kenobi's forces were being overrun, the bombers then took out the Geonosians' forces surrounding the rendezvous. Skywalker's and Mundi's forces then joined Kenobi's to plan the last part of their attack. Skywalker would attack the outer defenses of the fortress while Kenobi brought in the AT-TEs and Mundi the gunships. Skywalker, Tano and a squad were able to penetrate the shield. They then threw droid poppers at the fortress's proton cannons, disabling them. Kenobi then brought the AT-TEs in range of the shield generator and destroyed. After the shield went down, Mundi brought in the gunships captured the remaining Geonosians. Kenobi and Mundi, along with the rest of their wounded, left to recuperate, leaving Skywalker, his apprentice, and their force to destroy the factory.
Destroying the factoryEdit
- "How do we keep the Geonosians occupied while someone else is setting the bombs?"
"Good point, Snips. If whoever is going in there is going to be successful, we'll need to create a diversion."
"Precisely. That task will be carried out by you and I, Skywalker, while the destruction of the factory falls to the Padawans."
- ―Ahsoka Tano, Anakin Skywalker, and Luminara Unduli
To help Skywalker, Tano and their forces in destroying the factory, Unduli, along with her apprentice Barriss Offee and Commander Gree's 41st Elite Corps to assist in the attack. Skywalker originally planned for a frontal assault, but Unduli suggested that they infiltrate the factory using the catacombs under it and blow it from the inside. They agreed, despite Skywalker's concern, that Tano and Offee would carry out the infiltration while Unduli and Skywalker would distract Poggle's forces.
As Tano and Offee made their way through the catacombs, Unduli and Skywalker then marched their troops across the bridge, without cover to get Poggle's forces' attention. During his time their, Poggle and his tactical droid, TX-21 were running the factory at 50% capacity and had ten garrisons of droids ready to be deployed. The super tanks were not finished yet but would be ready. The droids were then deployed, marching across the bridge to fight the clones. As the two forces fought, TX-21 then sent in Geonosians to attack from above. Despite this, Skywalker's and Unduli's forces were able to defeat the droids. However, Poggle, at the urging of TX-21, deployed the super tanks. As they moved in on the clones, Skywalker ordered their cannons to fire at it, to no affect. The super tanks rolled over the clones as they made their way across the bridge.
As the battle raged above, Offee and Tano were able to make their way through the catacombs to the main reactor. Unfortunately, Offee inadvertently woke one of the Geonosians, who informed Poggle and TX-21 of this. After planting the bombs, Offee and Tano were then confronted by Poggle, TX-21, their Geonoisans and a super tank. Tano threw a charge onto the tank that failed to even dent the super tank, but destroyed TX-21 in the blast. Offee and Tano then fought the Geonosians to get their bombs back, but failed. When Tano was knocked out, Offee took the droid drivers and took control of the super tank. Both of them decided to use the tank to destroy the factory.
As the super tanks moved across the bridge, Unduli and Skywalker planted explosives to make the tanks fall into the ravine. They were successful in destroying the tanks. However, they were then confronted by more battle droids. Skywalker then contacted Tano, telling her to set the bombs off. However, they then used the tank, knowing it might kill them. They fired the tank at the reactor, and the factory collapsed, burying them inside the wreckage. Despite that, Skywalker and Unduli were able find their apprentices alive.
Search for PoggleEdit
- "Anakin, the queen took Luminara hostage. She wanted a Jedi, now she has two more. I want to know what she's after."
"Well, when this doesn't go as planned, which it won't, I'll be ready."
"That is so reassuring."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker
After the factory's destruction, the Separatist forces fell. Despite the high casualties to the Republic forces, Jedi Generals Kenobi and Unduli began to clean up the planet of the Separatists. They also launched a search for Poggle to capture him before he could make his escape. Luminara and clone trooper Buzz tracked Poggle to a location known as the Progate Temple. It was believed this was a mistake, as the temple had been severely damaged in the open phases of the Republic's campaign, but once inside they were unexpectedly attacked. Buzz was killed in the fighting and Luminara was then captured. After the sandstorm, Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Commander Cody lead force of Clones to investigate. Eventually they freed Luminara and recaptured Poggle. This was only after a run in with Karina the Great.
Following the being brought to the Republic, Poggle was brought to prison on Coruscant. There he was repeatably interrogated about a secret superweapon some in the Republic thought the Separatists could be developing.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "So in the end, the Geonosian arc, what it really did in the bigger picture of The Clone Wars was it forced us to work on a scale we'd never worked on before. We did different types of episodes that ranged from massive action to almost horror-type episodes. We were dealing with new Jedi Knight Ki-Adi-Mundi. We were dealing with better effects in the flamethrower. We introduced the character of Poggle, we were dealing with more in-depth story arcs overall, so all in all Geonosis represents a landmark for us in The Clone Wars, but it's just really now a shadow of the things that were to come."
- ―Series Director Dave Filoni
The Second Battle of Geonosis, was a battle that was featured in the second season of the television series Star Wars: The Clone Wars . It was part of a five-part story arc. Three of the episodes that featured the actual battle were Landing at Point Rain," "Weapons Factory," and "Legacy of Terror," which began airing on November 4, 2009 and concluded on November 20. The three episodes were followed by the conclusion of the arc, "Brain Invaders," and were preceded by the episode "Senate Spy," which led into the battle by detailing the Republic's discovery of the droid foundries.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bounty Hunters" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Zillo Beast" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Landing at Point Rain" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Weapons Factory"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Legacy of Terror"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Brain Invaders" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Deserter" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Mentioned only)
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Heroes on Both Sides" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Senate Murders" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Jedi Who Knew Too Much" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Honorable Ones" (Indirect mention only)
- Darth Vader 4: Vader, Part IV (Indirect mention only, in the opening crawl)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 1.24 1.25 1.26 1.27 1.28 1.29 1.30 1.31 1.32 1.33 1.34 1.35 1.36 1.37 1.38 1.39 1.40 1.41 1.42 1.43 1.44 1.45 1.46 1.47 1.48 1.49 1.50 1.51 1.52 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Landing at Point Rain"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Brain Invaders"
- ↑ Rise of the Separatists
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Legacy of Terror"
- ↑ 6.00 6.01 6.02 6.03 6.04 6.05 6.06 6.07 6.08 6.09 6.10 6.11 6.12 6.13 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Weapons Factory"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Senate Spy"
- ↑ Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel