- "Moff Gideon. You have something I want. You may think you have some idea of what you are in possession of, but you do not. Soon, he will be back with me. He means more to me than you will ever know."
- ―Din Djarin, to Moff Gideon
During the New Republic Era in 9 ABY, a group of Mandalorians and a New Republic marshal along with a mercenary and former bounty hunter mounted a rescue of Grogu from Moff Gideon's light cruiser. They were able to pilot their stolen shuttle through the launch tube and crash land in the cruiser, allowing the team to board it.
After a fight between the team and Imperial stormtroopers, they were able to successfully captured the light cruiser's bridge. Djarin soon returned with Gideon in stuncuffs, having rescued Grogu from his holding cell, and holding the Darksaber, thereby making him the ruler of Mandalore.
However the dark trooper droid platoon that Djarin thought he destroyed flew back to Gideon's cruiser and boarded it, eventually making their way to the bridge; the team sealed the blast doors to stall them, though the droids began to punch the doors. However a mysterious robed figure wielding a green-bladed lightsaber had boarded the ship and cut his way through the droids and destroyed them. The Jedi Master revealed himself to be Luke Skywalker and beckoned Grogu to come with him, and informed Djarin that the child was asking for his permission. Skywalker then took Grogu with him as he departed from the cruiser.
- "The Moff has a light cruiser. It could be helpful in your effort to regain Mandalore."
"[…] We will help you. In exchange, we will keep that ship to retake Mandalore. […] One more thing. Gideon has a weapon that once belonged to me. It is an ancient weapon that can cut through anything. […] It cannot cut through pure beskar. I will kill the moff and retake what is rightfully mine. With the Darksaber restored to me, Mandalore will finally be within reach."
"Help me rescue the child, and you can have whatever you want. He is my only priority."
- ―Din Djarin and Bo-Katan Kryze
As part of their experiments involving M-count blood transfusions, a remnant of the fallen Galactic Empire led by Moff Gideon sought to acquire Grogu, a mysterious child alien of the same species as Yoda with extraordinary powers. However, the child was being protected by Din Djarin, a Mandalorian bounty hunter who went rogue from the Bounty Hunters' Guild in order to rescue and protect the child, which he raised as a foundling of his clan.
Djarin was quested with reuniting Grogu with his own kind, which a Mandalorian armorer identified as being the Jedi. With the help of fellow Mandalorian Bo-Katan Kryze, Djarin eventually located former Jedi Ahsoka Tano, who refused to train Grogu and instead directed Djarin to a temple on Tython, where Grogu could reach out through the Force and potentially be sensed by another Jedi. There, however, he was found by Gideon's forces, who captured Grogu, returned him to Gideon's light cruiser, and then jumped into hyperspace to a location unknown to Djarin. However, Djarin was joined in his quest to rescue Grogu by Boba Fett and Fennec Shand, who deemed themselves indebted to Djarin after he allowed Fett to keep his armor that he had previously captured. After raiding an Imperial remnant base on Morak with the help of Djarin's friend Cara Dune, a New Republic marshal, and ex-Imperial sharpshooter Migs Mayfeld, Djarin and his allies discovered the coordinates to Gideon's light cruiser.
Djarin, Dune, Fett, and Shand captured Gideon's Shuttle 2743, which had been transporting Doctor Pershing, a clone engineer overseeing the experiments and killed one of the two pilots. They then traveled to a desert world where they enlisted the aid of Mandalorian warriors Bo-Katan Kryze and Koska Reeves; Kryze sought to reclaim the Darksaber from Moff Gideon, who had acquired the weapon following the Great Purge of Mandalore, in order to reclaim the Mandalorian throne and unite the Mandalorians to take back their homeworld of Mandalore.
- "Phase one, Lambda shuttle issues a distress call. Two, we come in hot and emergency land at the mouth of the fighter launch tube, cutting off any potential interceptors. Koska, Fennec, Dune, and myself disembark with maximum initiative. Once we've neutralized the launch bay, we make our ways through these tandem desks in a penetration maneuver."
"We'll be misdirection. Once we draw a crowd, you slip through the shadows, get the kid."
- ―Bo-Katan Kryze and Din Djarin
Arriving out of hyperspace near Moff Gideon's light cruiser, Boba Fett, from the Slave I, feigned fire on the shuttle containing the rest of the team. He drew away three TIE/ln space superiority starfighters that deployed from Gideon's cruiser while the shuttle crash landed through the launch tube into the cruiser, allowing the team to board it. Fett blasted the starfighters before then jumping to hyperspace himself.
Inside the cruiser, Dune, Shand, Kryze, and Reeves made their way to the bridge, fighting against stormtroopers along the way, while Djarin alone snuck to Grogu's cell. As he made his way to the child's cell, Djarin found the cargo bay storing the platoon of third-generation dark troopers; however, the combat droids had already been activated. Using Pershing's code cylinder, Djarin closed the doors, though one of the droids escaped and caught Djarin. Djarin ultimately destroyed it with his beskar spear and opened up the room's sealed doors, pulling the rest of the platoon out into space.
While the rest of the team seized the bridge, Djarin defeated the troopers guarding the child's cell; but inside, he found Gideon with the Darksaber unsheathed and above Grogu. Gideon forced Djarin to kick his blaster pistol over to him, and tricked Djarin into a false deal: in exchange for the child, Djarin agreed to leave Gideon and never cross paths with him again. When Djarin moved in, Gideon attacked the Mandalorian with the Darksaber. In the hallway outside the cell, Djarin unsheathed his beskar spear and briefly dueled Gideon, ultimately defeating the moff.
Djarin freed Grogu, took the Darksaber, and delivered a captured Gideon to the bridge before Kryze and the rest of the team. Gideon remarked that Kryze was unable to take the Darksaber, and thus claim the Mandalorian throne, for she had not defeated him in combat, but Djarin had instead. With their rocket boosters, the dark trooper droid platoon flew back to Gideon's cruiser and boarded it, eventually making their way to the bridge; the team sealed the blast doors to stall them, though the droids began to punch the doors in an effort to pound through them. However, before the droids could breach the doors, a T-65B X-wing starfighter arrived out of hyperspace and docked inside the cruiser.
Aid from a Jedi
- "A Jedi."
- ―Bo-Katan Kryze
From the bridge, the team and Moff Gideon watched the security cameras as a mysterious robed figure wielding a green-bladed lightsaber cut his way through the droids; Kryze identified the figure to be a Jedi. The Jedi eventually ascended in an elevator to the hallway before the bridge and destroyed the remaining dark troopers. Gideon picked up a nearby blaster pistol that he had been hiding and repeatedly shot Kryze; however, before he could then fire on Grogu, Djarin leaped in front of the child, shielding him with his beskar armor. Gideon then attempted to kill himself with the blaster, but Dune knocked him out before he could.
- "Hey, go on. That's who you belong with, he's one of your kind. I'll see you again. I promise. It's time to go. Don't be afraid."
- ―Din Djarin asks Grogu to go with Luke Skywalker
With the remaining dark troopers destroyed, Din Djarin opened up the blast doors as the Jedi entered through the smoke, turned off his lightsaber and removed his hood, revealing himself to be Luke Skywalker. Djarin asked if he was a Jedi, to which Skywalker confirmed he was. Skywalker beckoned Grogu to come with him, and informed Djarin that the child was asking for his permission. Djarin gave the child his blessing and wished him farewell, removing his helmet to say goodbye. Alongside his astromech droid, R2-D2, Skywalker then took Grogu with him as he departed from the cruiser.
Boba Fett, who had left the rescue early on after having fulling his debt to Djarin, went with Fennec Shand to Jabba's Palace on Tatooine, which was owned by Bib Fortuna and attacked the palace and killed Fortuna where Boba sat on the throne Fett then formed his own criminal empire from the remnants of Jabba Desilijic Tiure's former empire and became the Daimyo, who sought to rule out of respect rather than fear that had existed under Jabba.
Behind the scenes
- Star Wars: The Mandalorian Season 2 Junior Novel
- The Mandalorian: The Path of the Force
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 16: The Rescue" (First appearance)
- The Book of Boba Fett – "Chapter 5: Return of the Mandalorian" (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 15: The Believer"
- The Book of Boba Fett – "Chapter 5: Return of the Mandalorian"
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 16: The Rescue"
- The events of "Chapter 16: The Rescue," including the second rescure of Grogu, took place in 9 ABY per the reasoning here.
- The Book of Boba Fett – "Chapter 4: The Gathering Storm"
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 12: The Siege"
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 1: The Mandalorian"
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 7: The Reckoning"
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 13: The Jedi"
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 2: The Child"
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 8: Redemption"
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 3: The Sin"
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 11: The Heiress"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Wrong Jedi"
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 14: The Tragedy"
- The Book of Boba Fett – "Chapter 1: Stranger in a Strange Land"