The secret mission to rebuild the Jedi Order was carried out during the Jedi Purge, former Jedi Knight Cere Junda and Padawan Cal Kestis. It was their efforts to restore the destroyed Jedi Order that brought them into conflict with the Inquisitorius of the Galactic Empire.
At the end of the Clone Wars, Emperor Sheev Palpatine, whose true identity was secretly that of the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Sidious, reorganized the Galactic Republic into the Galactic Empire and branded the Jedi, who would have opposed Palpatine's rise to power as Emperor, as enemies of the state. The Jedi Order was destroyed through Order 66, when then-Supreme Chancellor Palpatine commanded all clone troopers to murder their Jedi Generals and Commanders, and the sack of the Jedi Temple by Sidious's new Sith apprentice, Darth Vader. Any surviving Jedi were hunted down during the Jedi Purge, the efforts of which were overseen by Vader and the Inquisitorius, an organization of former Jedi that turned to the dark side of the Force and were tasked by Emperor Palpatine with killing all surviving Jedi.
One of these surviving Jedi was a Padawan named Cal Kestis. Kestis went into hiding after Order 66, finding work with the Scrapper Guild on Bracca, where he was able to live low as a rigger. As a worker on Bracca, Kestis's only true friend was a fellow worker, Prauf. During one job, a Venator-class Star Destroyer being scrapped became loose, causing Prauf and Kestis to slip and fall. Kestis managed to hang onto the ship, but his friend Prauf was unable to hold on. Acting desperately, Kestis reached out and used the Force to save his friend, an act witnessed by an Imperial viper probe droid.ref name="Jedi Fallen Order" />
The hunt begins
Kestis, Prauf, and other Guild workers were riding a train when it was stopped by Imperial authorities. Stormtroopers brought them outside, where they were confronted by Purge Troopers, the Ninth Sister, and the Second Sister, who informed the workers that they were looking for a Jedi and failure for them to step forward would result in all of them facing execution. Prauf stepped forward, and, in an effort to protect his friend, spoke out against the Empire. The Second Sister killed him with her lightsaber. Kestis responded by striking at the Second Sister's lightsaber with his lightsaber, but the Second Sister used the Force to push the Padawan towards the Ninth Sister, who dropped him from a ledge onto a moving train after Kestis activated his lightsaber.
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (First appearance)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 1.24 1.25 1.26 1.27 1.28 1.29 1.30 1.31 1.32 1.33 1.34 1.35 1.36 1.37 1.38 1.39 1.40 1.41 1.42 1.43 1.44 1.45 1.46 1.47 1.48 1.49 1.50 1.51 1.52 1.53 1.54 1.55 1.56 1.57 1.58 1.59 1.60 1.61 1.62 1.63 1.64 1.65 1.66 1.67 1.68 1.69 1.70 1.71 1.72 1.73 1.74 1.75 1.76 1.77 1.78 1.79 1.80 1.81 1.82 1.83 1.84 1.85 1.86 1.87 1.88 1.89 1.90 Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know