Sector 943, colloquially known as the Works or the Flats, was a large industrial area of Coruscant. It was located southwest of the Senate District and next to the Fobosi District. Sector 943 had been an immense manufacturing center for many companies, who would later abandon the planet for cheap labor and off-world facilities. Prospective urban developers released stone mites, duracrete slugs, and conduit worms into the Works, in an attempt to clear the area out so it could be purchased and refurbished.
The Works was a broad, flat industrial plain sited well below the Senate District. To its far north the Works was overlooked by the Jedi Temple and the Pius Dea Spaceport, and to its south by the resiblocks and commercial towers of the Fobosi District.
After the Eternal Alliance's successful Revolt against the Eternal Empire, Commander Kallin based his forces in the Works and planned to use explosives to bomb the Senate Tower in an attempt to raise conflict and start war between the Republic and the Alliance. However, the Eternal Alliance Recon Unit managed to track him down and eliminate him to prevent war between the two major powers.
At the start of the Clone Wars, Count Dooku arrived at the Works to inform his Master, Darth Sidious, that the war between the Republic and Separatists had begun. The Dark Lord was pleased at the news, as it was a step closer to the completion of the Sith's Grand Plan.
In 20 BBY, Sidious summoned Dooku back to the Works in response to Yoda's presence on Morriband. Initiating a Sith ritual using Dooku's blood to draw on his Force bond with his old Master and feeding it with Force lightning, they were able to draw the Jedi Grand Master into an illusion in which he, Anakin Skywalker, and a squad of clones were on their way to The Works to apprehend the Sith Lords. The intent of the deception was to break Yoda's spirit; however, the attempt failed.
Towards the end of the Clone Wars, Republic Intelligence working with the Jedi Order traced the Separatists back to the LiMerge Power building, a large tower in the center of The Works. Two squads infiltrated the building, Aurek Team led by Mace Windu, and Bacta Team led by Shaak Ti. It was soon verified that Count Dooku and possibly even the elusive Darth Sidious himself had used this location until recent times.
Count Dooku spent much of his time in The Works mastering the teachings of the Sith. Even Darth Maul was possibly trained in The Works. The area around the LiMerge Power building was littered with a small number of destroyed combat droids, all bisected with a lightsaber.
By this time The Works was an area to be avoided by most of the population, due to its usual inhabitants of smugglers, squatters, death stick runners, malfunctioning droids, gangsters, undocumented refugees, and Cthons. The majority of The Works' structures were in a severe state of decay, and had been abandoned for centuries. Despite this, many of the facilities were self-powered and continued to produce toxic waste and eerie mechanical sounds across the low-lying factories for a long time after the departure of the owners.
The same area was later used by the Galactic Empire as a manufacturing center for Sienar Fleet Systems TIE Fighters, producing hundreds of starfighters per day. Towards the end of the Yuuzhan Vong War, Galactic Alliance underground forces used this area as a staging ground for the eventual Battle of Yuuzhan'tar.
Behind the scenes
The Works resembles a location in the Coruscant scenes in the alternate dark side ending of Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. Note, however, that in Jedi Knight, the Imperial Palace appears instead of the LiMerge Power building.
- The Old Republic: Deceived
- The Old Republic: Deceived audiobook
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Darth Plagueis
- Darth Plagueis audiobook
- Millennium Falcon
- Millennium Falcon audiobook
- Star Wars Episode I Journal: Darth Maul
- Star Wars: Bounty Hunter
- Star Wars Adventures 3: The Hostage Princess
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones comic (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones junior novel
- Republic 63
- The Clone Wars: Decide Your Destiny: Crisis on Coruscant
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sacrifice"
- Labyrinth of Evil
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith novelization (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith unabridged audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
- Coruscant Nights I: Jedi Twilight
- Under a Black Sun (First identified as Sector 943)
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 35
- Star Wars: Head-to-Head Tag Teams
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Explorer's Guide
- The Essential Reader's Companion
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
- Star Wars: Force and Destiny Core Rulebook