Security battle droids, also known as Specialist Droids, were a type of security droid manufactured by Baktoid Combat Automata for the Trade Federation Droid Army, and later used in the Separatist Droid Army. They were distinguished from other droids by the red markings on their bodies.
- "I wasn't programmed for this."
- ―A security battle droid, after being crushed by an explosive
Security battle droids were a type of security droid and part of the OOM-series battle droid line. As battle droids of this line, they could do more functions than the line's successors, the B1 battle droid, due to the amount of independent reasoning in the OOM-series' programming. Their role of security droids was shown by their red coloring. The droids could be armed with E-5 blaster rifles.
Invasion of NabooEdit
A group of security battle droids, which included a security droid with the rank of corporal, under the command of an OOM command battle droid were ordered by the Viceroy of the Trade Federation, Nute Gunray, to eliminate two Jedi ambassadors. The Jedi, Master Qui-Gon Jinn and his Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi, had been sent by the Supreme Chancellor Finis Valorum to negotiate the Trade Federation bloackade of Naboo. The security droids were ultimately destroyed by the pair of Jedi. Another group was sent by Gunray to take Queen Padmé Amidala, Captain Panaka and others to Camp Four only to be ambushed by the same Jedi duo and cut to pieces. The other security battle droids on Naboo were likely shut down after the destruction of the Droid Control Ship.
- "Sir, the prisoners did not make it to the interrogation level."
"Er...We think they might have got..."
- ―A security battle droid and Osi Sobeck.
During the Clone Wars, these droids were used by the Confederacy of Independent Systems in it's Droid Army. On the battlefield security droids could be deployed among regular infantry and be used as snipers. They were also still used as security forces and guards. Many security battle droids were stationed on the Citadel prison on Lola Sayu. At least one security battle droid was under the command General Grievous prior to the Battle of Dathomir. The droid reported that the Separatist starships were approaching Dathomir, and after this Grievous ordered to begin landing their troops. Many security battle droids also participated in the Carida incident, which saw the transformation of a Venator-class Star Destroyer into an explosive weapon, which was foiled by D-Squad. BD-15959 was a security battle droid that participated in the Mission to Utapau.
In the last year of the Clone Wars, General Grievous attacked the Galactic Republic's headquarters on Coruscant and captured Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine, the legendary Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi and his apprentice Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker were sent to rescue him from the Confederacy. A large group of security battle droids in the hangar attacked the Jedi aboard Grievous's flagship, the Invisible Hand, but were all destroyed. When the Jedi duo retreated from a pair of droidekas into a lift, they realized that several security battle droids were on the same lift and proceeded to eliminate the droids. Other units escorted the Separatist Council to the volcanic planet of Mustafar and were cut down along with the aides and leaders when Darth Vader arrived. Following the slaughter of the Separatist leaders all Separatist droid units were shut down.
Behind the scenesEdit
Security battle droids heavily appear in the Battle of Kashyyyk sequence in Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith. The security droids are used as if they are B1 battle droids, and can be seen riding on the sides of NR-N99 Persuader-class droid enforcers as B1s do in the scene. Due to this their inclusion in this scene is possibly a movie mistake, and instead regular B1s were meant to be used.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars Battlefront II (First identified as Specialist Droid)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Citadel"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Counterattack"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Citadel Rescue"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Massacre"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Point of No Return"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Big Bang"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Unfinished Business"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Ultimate Star Wars (as security droid)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia (First identified as security battle droid)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition (as security droid)
- Star Wars: Destiny – Across the Galaxy (Card: ) (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars Battlefront II
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Citadel"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Massacre"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Point of No Return"
- ↑ In "The Big Bang," Grievous calls for BD-15959 to report where Obi-Wan Kenobi is. As Grievous sent security battle droids to pick up Kenobi, it can be deduced that BD-15959 is one of the security droids sent to pick him up, however it is not known which of the droids it is.
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Big Bang"