- "I have come for the Selection."
"Yes, yes, of course. Line up! Heads of each tribe, line up for the sister!"
- ―Asajj Ventress and Brother Viscus
The Selection was a three-ritual series of brutal trials in which the Nightsisters of Dathomir chose men from the Nightbrother clan to serve as their mates and servants. While the Selection was only for Nightbrothers, the three trials of the Selection were also employed to select Nightsisters ready for full warrior status. Because of the name of the arena where the trials took place, the Selection was also referred to as "the Crucible."
- "When the prize is to be the servant of a Sith Lord, elimination equals death."
- ―Asajj Ventress
The ceremony consisted of the Test of Fury, the Test of Night, and the Test of Elevation. Failing a single test would eliminate a Nightbrother from the Selection process, or a Nightsister from achieving warrior status. All three trials were held at the arena on Dathomir known as the Crucible. Success in the trials resulted in "a second beginning" by being assigned to one of three ranks or specializations—categories of mercenary skill offered to offworld clients: those of shadow killer, hunter and warrior.
- The Wrath of Darth Maul (Indirect mention only)
- Restraint (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Monster" (First appearance) (First identified as Selection)
- "Launch Pad"—Star Wars Insider 122 (First mentioned) (Indirect mention only)
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side