- "Morning, Senators. You should all consider yourselves to be in my power. As long as everybody behaves, this will be quick and painless. Do nothing, and it will all be over soon."
- ―Cad Bane
The Senate hostage crisis took place at the Senate Office Building on Coruscant during the Clone Wars when bounty hunters employed by the Hutt Clan, led by Cad Bane, held Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine of the Galactic Republic and several senators hostage in order to free Ziro the Hutt from the Republic Judiciary Central Detention Center.
Prelude[edit | edit source]
During the Clone Wars, Jabba the Hutt's uncle, Ziro, was arrested by the Republic Coruscant Guard and Naboo Senator Padmé Amidala. He revealed that he worked with Separatist leader, Count Dooku in kidnapping Jabba's son, Rotta, in order to become master of all the Hutt Clans. Following his confession, Ziro was then imprisoned at the Republic's detention center.
Ziro hired bounty hunter Aurra Sing to assassinate Amidala, but after the attempt failed, Jabba and the Grand Hutt Council were concerned that Ziro would give the Senate their records, which detailed all of the Council's wrongdoings. Therefore, Jabba paid bounty hunter Cad Bane to get the Galactic Senate Building's blueprints from Amidala's protocol droid, C-3PO. However, 3PO did not have the blueprints, but he revealed that his counterpart, Anakin Skywalker's astromech droid R2-D2, did. Bane was thus able to get the blueprints after capturing R2, before returning both droids with their memories of the events erased so as not to draw suspicions. Returning to Jabba's Palace on Tatooine, Bane was then paid for the blueprints. Jabba, with the Council's approval, hired Bane to carry out the mission to rescue Ziro. Bane agreed to do it, for the right price.
The incident[edit | edit source]
Hostage crisis[edit | edit source]
- "Put up your hands."
"I got business with the Senate. How about you fellows step aside?"
- ―Senate Guard and Cad Bane
Bane assembled a team of bounty hunters; Aurra Sing, Shahan Alama, Robonino, HELIOS-3D, HELIOS-3E, another IG-86 sentinel droid, and a pair of commando droids. Together, they then went to the Senate Building. Bane was then confronted by Senate Guard commandos and Captain Jayfon. Sing then took out the commandos. Bane and the rest of the bounty hunters then finished off the remaining ones. The commando droids then disguised themselves as Senate Commandos. Bane and the others then entered the building.
During this time, Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker was meeting with his secret wife, Senator Amidala. However, their meeting was cut short when Senator Bail Organa barged in. Organa asked her to join him in a meeting with Senator Philo about the Enhanced Privacy Invasion Bill. Amidala then went with Organa and left Skywalker. However, Amidala left with Skywalker's lightsaber.
Bane and his bounty hunters then made their way through the building. Bane then finished off the remaining Senate Guards. Bane and the others then went to Control Room, taking out the droids and guards stationed. Bane then left Robonino to cut the power. Bane and the others then went to talk with the senators.
Bane and his bounty hunters surrounded the Senators and took them hostage. Senator Philo refused to listen to Bane and tried to leave. Bane then shot Philo. He then contacted Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine, demanding that Ziro be released and turned over to him. At first, Palpatine refused until Robonino cut the power and building was placed on lockdown. Communication with the outside was lost. Bane then searched the Senators for communicators. However, as he comes across Amidala, Bane spotted Skywalker. He then ordered Alama and the IG-86 sentinel droid to go after him. Skywalker attempted to contact someone but was unable to do so.
Skywalker was then confronted by Alama and the droid, but realized that he did not have his lightsaber. So, he evaded them. Skywalker then went to a room with communication equipment. There, he was able to modify his comlink and contact Palpatine. Palpatine told him to get to the control room to reestablish communication. However, Skywalker cut him off when Alama came to the room. He was able to use a Mind trick to throw Alama off. When the two bounty hunter split up, Skywalker confronted the droid and was able to destroy it. However, it proved to Alama that Skywalker had no lightsaber. Bane then sent Alama with Sing to meet up with Robonino and to subdue Skywalker.
Skywalker then made his way to the control room. However, Robonino then sealed the door when Skywalker ran towards him. Skywalker attempted to use a mind trick on him, but was then held at gunpoint by Alama. He then took Alama's blaster and held him at gunpoint. Sing however was able to shoot the blaster out of Skywalker's hand. Robonino then attacked Skywalker, shocking him unconscious. They then tied him and took him to Bane.
Bane then contacted Palpatine, instructing him to make a pardon disk and give to Senator Orn Free Taa. 3D then goes to the Chancellor's office and takes Taa to the detention center. There, Ziro was then freed and taken back to the Senate building. Bane and the other bounty hunters then placed bombs around the senator as they prepare to leave. However, as they make their way towards the landing platform, Bane's bounty hunters were then surrounded by Commander Fox's detachment of the Coruscant Guard called in by Taa and Palpatine. However, Bane refuses to surrender threatening set to kill the senators. Thus, Bane and his bounty hunters were allowed to leave. The senators were then able to wake up Skywalker and Amidala gave him back his lightsaber, saying he dropped it. As Bane, his bounty hunters, and Ziro made their escape, he set off the bombs as Ziro's payback. Luckily, Skywalker was able to cut a hole in the floor, and saved them before the bombs went off.
Escape[edit | edit source]
Bane, Ziro and company were pursued by a party of Jedi, with the chase eventually going down an underworld portal. The spectacle, which included the Jedi leaping between speeders, drew the attention of large crowds. As a distraction, Bane shot out the engine of a transport ship in the portal, which spun out of control and began heading for a packed landing platform. The Jedi managed to divert the ship away from the landing platform, leading it to strike the side of the portal instead. On the other side of the wall was the home of the Martez family. While the parents saw the ship coming, they sacrificed their lives so their daughters, Trace and Rafa, could escape. The diversion allowed Ziro, Bane and the other bounty hunters to evade capture and disappear into the Coruscant underworld.
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
- "Oh, I have no illusions about the fact that my escape was a result of the highly sensitive knowledge that I possess. A holodiary cataloging the nefarious deeds of this council. […] Kill me and the diary will show up on the step of the Senate. The cold, hard reality is that as long as I control this highly sensitive material, my memory will only get duller."
- ―Ziro Desilijic Tiure, to the Hutt Grand Council
Ziro was then taken to Nal Hutta before the Grand Hutt Council at Gardulla's Palace. Knowing they were behind his rescue, Ziro threatened to send the Council records to the Senate if he was killed. Ziro's former lover Sy Snootles helped Ziro escape Nal Hutta, but after they traveled to Teth to recover the records, Snootles killed him, having secretly been hired by Jabba, before delivering the holodiary to Tatooine. Ziro's corpse was discovered by Bane and Jedi Masters Obi-Wan Kenobi and Quinlan Vos, who subsequently had a fight when the two Jedi attempted to capture Bane, although the Duros was able to escape.
The Jedi who had pursued Bane returned to where the crash had been. A female Jedi with green skin and dark robes approached Rafa and told the Martez sister that she had needed to make a choice about the transport ship, but the Jedi told her not to worry, saying the Force would be with her. The Jedi then left, but both of the sisters were left disillusioned about the Jedi and the view of them as heroes. With the loss of their parents, Rafa instilled a view in her sister that the two of them could only rely on each other. Rafa later told Ahsoka Tano, a new friend of Trace's who, unbeknownst to either of them, had been a Padawan before leaving the Jedi Order, the story while they were imprisoned in Pyke Palace on Oba Diah.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Lightsaber Lost" (In flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Hostage Crisis" (First appearance)
- "Hostage Crisis"—The Clone Wars: Stories of Light and Dark
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Hunt for Ziro" (In flashback(s))
- "Intermission, Part I"—Star Wars Adventures 12 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Dangerous Debt" (Indirect mention only)
- Leia, Princess of Alderaan (Mentioned only)
- Leia, Princess of Alderaan audiobook (Mentioned only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Senate hostage crisis)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 30 (Weapons & Uniforms: Senate Commandos)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 76 (Weapons & Uniforms: Aurra Sing)
- Rise of the Separatists
- Collapse of the Republic
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sphere of Influence"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Hostage Crisis"
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide states that the Onderonian Civil War began 22 years before the Rogue One mission, and that it ended 19 years before the mission. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Rogue One mission to 0 BBY. Therefore, the Onderonian Civil War began in 22 BBY and ended in 19 BBY.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Hunt for Ziro"
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the events of "ARC Troopers" in 21 BBY and The Star Wars Book places the events of "Heroes on Both Sides" to twenty-one years before the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas states that A New Hope begins in 0 BBY, "Heroes on Both Sides" must take place in 21 BBY. As "Hostage Crisis," the episode this event is featured within, occurs between these two episodes according to , this event must take place in 21 BBY.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Dangerous Debt"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars (film)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Assassin"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Evil Plans"
- Leia, Princess of Alderaan