- "You almost got us killed! Are you brainless?"
"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn and Jar Jar Binks
Sentience was the ability of a species to think intelligently. Sentient species of the galaxy numbered in the tens of thousands, with 3PO units being programmed to recognize more than 30,000 of them. Some such species included humans, the Ewoks, the Patitites, the Gungans, and the Geonosians. Non-sentient organics of the animal kingdom were variously referred to as "creatures" or "beasts." There also existed creatures that appeared to have emerging sentience, such as the Zillo Beast.
Under the laws of the Galactic Republic, sentient beings could not be used as slaves. However, slavery thrived on certain remote planets such as Tatooine, and was considered a profitable trade among the Zygerrians. Most droids were afforded programming that did not allow them to harm organic sentient beings, with notable exceptions such as police droids and battle droids.
- (First identified as Sentience)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Dawn of Rebellion
- The Last Jedi: Rose Tico: Resistance Fighter
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Tales from Vandor