The Separatist Senate, also known as the Separatist Parliament, Confederate parliament and the Separatist Congress, was the civilian legislative body that governed the Confederacy of Independent Systems, representing thousands of its member worlds during the Clone Wars. When the charismatic Count Dooku founded the Confederacy in 24 BBY, the swaths of sectors and star systems seceding from the Galactic Republic formed their own congressional assembly to oversee the new Seperatist state. A number of the appointed delegates, many having served as members of the Galactic Senate prior to their secession, continued to represent their constituents in the Confederacy. Operating by a written constitution known as the Bylaws of Independent Systems, the Parliament was headed by the Confederate Head of State, Dooku, as well as by Separatist Congress Leader Bec Lawise. During the duration of the Clone Wars, the congressional body was headquartered on the Confederate capital of Raxus, where it regularly convened for sessions held in the Separatist Senate Building.
Although the representative voices of the Parliament gained a role in state matters, various elements of the Separatist hierarchy often rendered them ineffective. The corporate interests on the Separatist Council also made governmental decisions, and Dooku himself—who was secretly the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Tyranus—manipulated situations to ensure that pan-galactic war continued for the purposes of the Sith. At times maneuvers on the part of other war-profiteering parties negated legislation that the Parliament had enacted; some came to see the assembly's members as Dooku's pawns. Furthermore, the senators of the Parliament as well as the citizens of the Confederacy were repeatedly shielded from front-line reports of brutal campaigns waged by commanders of the Separatist Droid Army such as General Grievous. Ultimately, the Confederacy was regarded more as a movement instead of a centralized government, in spite of the Parliament's involvement in public affairs.
A wide range of views comprised the Parliament, leading to a division of positions about maintaining the war effort against the Republic. In 21 BBY, after the Clone Wars had been raging for over a year, Senator Mina Bonteri of Onderon, in collaboration with Republic Senator Padmé Amidala, introduced a bill to open peace negotiations with the Republic. Her bill passed in session by a majority, and the Parliament's motion for peace was extended to the Republic Senate. Yet Dooku conspired with a group of war profiteers to ensure that the Republic rejected the offer, culminating with his orchestration of Bonteri's murder and the withdrawal of the proposal. A delegation later represented the Parliament at an unprecedented peace conference with Republic congresspeople on Mandalore, but the talks similarly failed. Ultimately, the Separatist Senate was dissolved in 19 BBY following the death of Dooku and the execution of the Separatist Council, resulting in the Confederacy's capitulation and dissolution, effectively ending the Clone Wars.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Supply Lines" (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Heroes on Both Sides" (First appearance) (First identified as Separatist Parliament and Separatist Congress)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Pursuit of Peace" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Friend in Need"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A War on Two Fronts" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crisis at the Heart" (Mentioned only)
- (as "Confederate parliament")
- (as "Separatist Parliament")
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy (as "Separatist Parliament")
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Rise of the Separatists
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Heroes on Both Sides"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Rise of the Separatists
- ↑ Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Supply Lines"