- "I always thought the Flash speeders were only good for joyriding. Then the Trade Federation invaded and I found out why we keep these green genies around. I just closed my eyes, and the next thing I knew, I was ten kilometers away from Theed."
- ―RSF lieutenant Gavyn Sykes
Description[edit | edit source]
The Seraph-class urban landspeeder was a variant of the Seraph-class landspeeder, which was a civilian model.
The military variant was used by the Royal Naboo Security Forces as a patrol craft and personnel transport. To assist in these duties, the Seraph was armed with a rotating blaster turret positioned on the rear of the vehicle. A single driver operated the Seraph, and up to three passengers could be accommodated in its open-topped interior.
The vehicle's repulsorlift engines allowed it to reach a height of two meters above ground level, and gave the Seraph a maximum speed of 200 kph. Designed for urban environments, the Seraph was suited more to patrolling city streets than traversing uneven terrain.
History[edit | edit source]
Introduced thirty years before the Invasion of Naboo, the Seraph-class urban landspeeder was designed to complement the larger V-19 "Gian" speeder. Members of the RSF had long felt that the Gian Speeder was not maneuverable enough for patrolling in cities, and their suggestions led to the creation of the vehicle. The new craft proved popular with RSF members in the capital city of Theed, and other cities, such as Keren, soon made use of the Seraph.
Seraph-class urban landspeeders saw little combat prior to the Invasion of Naboo, their actions mainly limited to criminal pursuit and officer dispatch. Occasionally, the vehicles were deployed to hunt gun runners in the service of Borvo the Hutt or frighten away wild animals that had intruded city limits.
During the Invasion of Naboo in 32 BBY, many of the Seraph-class vessels in service to the RSF were destroyed by the invading droid forces of the Trade Federation. As resistance cells began to form across the planet, the remaining Seraphs were used to pass messages between cells and for reconnaissance missions. When Queen Padmé Amidala joined forces with the Gungans to ignite the Second Battle of Theed, Seraph landspeeders were used to transport her, Captain Quarsh Panaka, and a strike force to Theed's secret tunnels, allowing them to invade the palace and capture Nute Gunray.
Civilians used an unarmed, unshielded model during the invasion.
Following the Battle of Naboo, heavily armored variants of the Seraph were commissioned and added to the RSF motor pool.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
A Flash speeder deed was a special pre-order reward from GameStop when pre-ordering the Jump to Lightspeed expansion for Star Wars Galaxies. Other than its unique appearance, it was like any other vehicle in-game in terms of performance. It did, however, have an ability to be quickly re-granted in-game using a special command in case your current speeder had been destroyed.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Darth Plagueis
- The Monster"—Star Wars Gamer 2 "
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode I: Battle for Naboo
- Star Wars: Yoda's Challenge Activity Center (Appears in a picture)
- Star Wars: Battlefront
- Jedi Quest: The Dangerous Games
- The Clone Wars: The Valley
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crisis on Naboo"
- Republic Commando: Triple Zero
- Shadows in the Force
- Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed
Non-canon appearances[edit | edit source]
- LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
- Star Wars: Yoda's Challenge Activity Center
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode I Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace: Prima's Official Strategy Guide (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Episode I Insider's Guide
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 72 (Naboo Speeder)
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology (First identified as Seraph-class urban landspeeder)
- Star Wars: Complete Cross-Sections
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (As "Flash speeder")
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 62
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – The Shadow Syndicate (Card: Flash Speeder)
- Suns of Fortune