- "Shadow troopers! Don't underestimate them!"
- ―Admiral Gial Ackbar
Shadow troopers were elite and highly trained stormtroopers that served the Galactic Empire during the Galactic Civil War against the Rebel Alliance. They wore distinguishing black suits of experimental armor coupled with portable cloaking devices, rendering them almost completely invisible and highly suited for stealth missions. Shadow troopers overwhelmed their enemies by attacking in hordes, using T-21 heavy blasters along with flash grenades.
Shadow troopers were highly trained, elite, and fanatically loyal stormtroopers that served the Galactic Empire. They wore specialized, experimental stealth armor made from stygian-triprismatic polymer that enhanced the shadow troopers' stealth capability and allowed them to avoid sensors. The armor, similar in appearance to standard stormtrooper armor, was entirely black in color, with the exception of the white Imperial crest adorning the left chest.
Like standard stormtrooper helmets, the armored helmets worn by shadow troopers featured heat dispersion vents and blue-tinted exhaust filters located on each sides of the face. In the same manner, the shadow trooper helmets were equipped with a direct speaker placed between two induction filters on the chin section. The helmet's eye lenses and mouth area were gray in color.
Shadow troopers were equipped with portable cloaking devices that rendered them almost completely invisible as they moved around. Outfitted with a wide range of survival equipment, the troopers wielded T-21 heavy blasters and flash grenades.
- "Stay on guard! Shadow troopers approaching!"
- ―Admiral Gial Ackbar
Shadow troopers' stealth equipment made them highly suitable for missions requiring cunning rather than brute force. They were able to appear out of thin air and surprise their enemies. With their T-21 heavy blasters capable of delivering massive damage at long ranges, and flash grenades capable of disorienting their enemies, these elite shock troops attacked in hordes to overwhelm their opponents.
- "Elite shadow troopers reported in the zone!"
- ―Admiral Gial Ackbar
Shadow troopers served the Galactic Empire during the Galactic Civil War against the Rebel Alliance. They were based off their clone shadow trooper predecessors, a variant of the clone troopers that served the Galactic Republic during the Clone Wars. According to Admiral Gial Ackbar of the Rebel Alliance, shadow troopers were elite soldiers who were not to be underestimated.
Behind the scenesEdit
Star Wars BattlefrontEdit
- "Unlikely we'll see the Shadowtrooper return though—there's a new Black Stormtrooper in town."
- ―Dennis Brännvall, Star Wars Battlefront II associate design director
Shadow troopers first appeared in the new Star Wars canon in Star Wars Battlefront, a 2015 video game developed by EA DICE. For the Star Wars: Force Collection digital card game, trading cards representing shadow troopers were initially titled "Shadow Stormtrooper" but were later changed to "Shadow Trooper," in keeping with the nomenclature used in Star Wars Battlefront. Additionally, Prima Games' Star Wars Battlefront Strategy Guide spells the trooper's name as "shadowtrooper."
Besides being an unlockable appearance customization in Star Wars Battlefront's multiplayer mode, shadow troopers only appear in the game's survival mode, where the player can play as one of two rebel troopers stranded in an area surrounded by Imperial forces. Shadow troopers are part of incoming enemy waves that the rebels must hold off until their extraction. The same scenario can be played in various locations on Hoth, Sullust, Tatooine, and Endor.
The shadow trooper promotional image on the official Star Wars Battlefront website depicts a shadow trooper wielding a DLT-19 heavy blaster rifle. However, the description of the image and the game itself explicitly state that they carried T-21 heavy blasters.
According to Dennis Brännvall, associate design director for Star Wars Battlefront II, it is unlikely that shadow troopers will be included in the sequel game due to the addition of another black-colored stormtrooper—the death trooper.
Star Wars Legends originsEdit
All-black stormtroopers equipped with cloaking devices originated in the Star Wars Legends continuity. They were known as "shadow stormtroopers" or "Blackhole stormtroopers" and first appeared in the 1979 comic strip Gambler's World by Russ Manning. Additionally, the 2008 Legends video game Star Wars: The Force Unleashed introduced gray-colored stormtroopers with blue-lit plating who also possessed cloaking devices, identified as "Shadow Troopers."
- Star Wars Battlefront (First appearance)
- Star Wars Battlefront Companion
- Star Wars Battlefront Strategy Guide (as shadowtrooper)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Shadow Trooper (★★★★) (link))
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Shadow Trooper (★★★★★) (link))
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 Star Wars Battlefront
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Shadow Trooper (★★★★) (link))
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Shadow Trooper (★★★★★) (link))
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Rebels & Soldiers. Star Wars™ Battlefront - Star Wars - Official EA Site. Electronic Arts. Archived from the original on October 3, 2018. Retrieved on October 15, 2018. "Seemingly appearing out of thin air, the Shadow Trooper can be a truly unpleasant surprise using its cloaking device. Be extra observant and stay away from the T-21 Heavy Blaster fire."
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Shadow Stormtrooper (★★★★) (link)) (image)
- ↑ Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Shadow Stormtrooper (★★★★★) (link)) (image)
- ↑ Star Wars Battlefront Strategy Guide
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 screenshot) (
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Star Wars Battlefront II
- ↑ Star Wars: Imperial Handbook: A Commander's Guide
- ↑ Gambler's World
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Unleashed